Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform and jumble of medals?

agedpink1

Help please on the uniform and the jumble of medals (its the only photo of the medals I have at present. The mans name is Wilfred Leslie Watkins, I think he was in WW1 and WW2.

Regards Richard.

watkins.jpg

watkins medals.jpg

Yes, you have a mix of First and Second World War items there. The photo of him is Great War; it looks as if he was some form of mounted soldier.  Any idea what Regiment he was in? I can find a namesake who was Army Cyclist Corps then Labour Corps.

The medals & badges include a Great War Victory medal (the rainbow ribbon), a Royal Artillery cabbage, and a Silver War badge.

Edited by Gareth Davies

You have a WWI silver war badge in the jumble. Can't see a likely entry to Watkins. The SWB will have a number stamped on reverse which will ID the recipient, letter prefix also possible.

WWI victory medal will have recipient details on rim. 

TEW

Thanks Gareth. I'm trying to find the information for a friend of mine whose mother died in early March, she was clearing out her house in Liverpool when she came across her Uncles medals and one photograph (he died in 1968). However my friend had to rush back from Liverpool due to the lockdown, so my information is a tad vague I'm afraid.

Regards Richard.

The medal is the Silver British War Medal, with the wrong ribbon attached, that of the victory medal. Around the rim of the medal should be stamped a number, rank, name and regiment; have a look with a magnifying glass and post what you find. 

Predictive text on with the Royal Artillery Cabbage?

Didn't notice the medal/ribbon mix up.

TEW

Good spot.

Thanks for the information, unfortunately the medals are still in Liverpool and due to being in lockdown we can't access them.

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

I can find a namesake who was Army Cyclist Corps then Labour Corps.

There is a pension card for this chap #511413 in Labour Corps. Address 54 High St, Ross on Wye, born 1894, disability includes TB

His SWB shows enlisted 8 Sep 1914 & discharged 17 Jan 1919

The same Labour Corps number leads you back to Army Cycling Corps #2612 and Worcs Regt

Edited by corisande
Sorry I put wrong dob , now corrected

There's  WW2 Pacific Star and ribbon in there, too (multi-coloured ribbon, not the rainbow-coloured WW1 one). Cap badge looks nautical (obviously), maybe MM, or RN/RNVR - they certainly played a part in the Pacific campaign, but this is a bit outside my comfort zone - for WW2 stuff try WW2Talk forum, I suggest.

Cheers, Pat

Agree with Pat, theres a pacific star, also 39-45 star and the ribbon to the 39-45 war medal, red white and blue center left,  medals got the lion on it, its on top of the 14-18 war medal, there looks to be another star hanging off the 39-45 ribbon incorrectly, cant make it out though its upside down, would say it's another ww2 star possibly Atlantic if it's a nautical man.

Kev

Just checked the criteria for the Africa star it could be that upside down if he served in the med

Edited by kev1874

Not to mention a WW2 wound badge.

Simon

12 hours ago, agedpink1 said:

Thanks for the information, unfortunately the medals are still in Liverpool and due to being in lockdown we can't access them.

Can you not ask whoever in Liverpool has the medals to look at the outer rim of the WW1 medal fitted with the rainbow ribbon and tell you the name and details inscribed?  The lettering is not so tiny that it’s impossible to read unless the reader has poor vision.

To complicate things further, it looks as if most of the medals belong to a Liam Thompson, see below, and at least 2 of the others as well

Until we get the rim inscriptions, we don´t really know the connection, if any, between the man in the photo and the medals

medal.jpg.8e5ef4be00890a0a30820ea052388b49.jpg

Just now, corisande said:

To complicate things further, it looks as if most of the medals belong to a Liam Thompson, see below, and at least 2 of the others as well

Until we get the rim inscriptions, we don´t really know the connection, if any, between the man in the photo and the medals

Just to clarify and not confuse the inquirer, only the WW1 medals were inscribed on the rim.  There are no recipient details on WW2 medals.

15 hours ago, corisande said:

There is a pension card for this chap #511413 in Labour Corps. Address 54 High St, Ross on Wye, born 1894, disability includes TB

His SWB shows enlisted 8 Sep 1914 & discharged 17 Jan 1919

The same Labour Corps number leads you back to Army Cycling Corps #2612 and Worcs Regt

Hi All,

Looks like the right man...

Wilfred Leslie Watkins, b. April 1894, Birmingham, d. 25.8.1922  (TB ????), Sudbury, Suffolk. His father Joseph Walter Watkins d. 3.2.1928 Probate to his widow Mary Elizabeth Watkins (nee Wheeler)d.11.10.1949 same.. ADDRESS 54 High St., Ross, Herefordshire.   Public tree on Ancestry  here....https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/13875790/person/8712825/facts

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Perhaps the Naval memorabilia relates to a son of the WW1 veteran, although I realise that is mere speculation.

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 hours ago, agedpink1 said:

I'm trying to find the information for a friend of mine whose mother died in early March, she was clearing out her house in Liverpool when she came across her Uncles medals and one photograph (he died in 1968).

4 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Wilfred Leslie Watkins, b. April 1894, Birmingham, d. 25.8.1922 

17 hours ago, agedpink1 said:

The mans name is Wilfred Leslie Watkins, I think he was in WW1 and WW2.

There are some inconsistencies here.

There were several brothers according to the tree, I wonder if the WW2 medals and 1968 death relate to one of them?

That's a Merchant Navy officer's cap badge 1930s-1940s, I think.

Tried searching the TNA database of Merchant Marine  campaign medals 1939-45 (BT395); got no hits with "Wilfred Leslie Watkins" or "WL Watkins". "W Watkins" brings up a James W Watkins, dob 1916.

It is rather pointless speculating on this-

The OP has been online here a number of times recently  and has not bothered making any comments here

There are at least two peoples medals in the pile - Watkins and Thompson. We have no idea who might have owned which

Until the OP clarifies, or at least is polite enough to update the thread , then we are not going to get anywhere

There are at least 2 peoples medals here apparently Watkins and Thompson

2 minutes ago, corisande said:

Until the OP clarifies, or at least is polite enough to update the thread , then we are not going to get anywhere

Agreed.

Hi  Corisande and all,

I agree. There isn't much more we can do with this one although I'm sure we are on the right track.

I think it is the usual problem of  not giving all the information to begin with or not understanding how to search.

Regards Barry

15 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Agreed.

Agreed.