Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5670 Frederick Smith. Somerset Light Infantry.

gareth morris

Good evening Forum members. I have a couple of questions regarding Frederick Smith (born in Bristol 1879), if I may please.

Fred served with the Somerset Light Infantry during the Boer war. He then served withe the SLI with the same service number during WW1. According to the SDGW he enlisted at Merthyr, he also appears to be a civilian in Aberdare at the time of the 1911 census.

1. So am i correct in assuming that because he still had the same service number during WW1, he was a reservist ??

2. Can his original enlistment date be ascertained from his service number????

3. Fred was killed in France 26/8/14. Would anyone happen to have a photo, or could point me in the right direction??

Any help gratefully received.

Many Thanks, Gareth

IMG_1201.JPG

Gareth,

This report, listed by Findmypast under 'Prisoners of war' indicates that Frederick served in 'C' Company. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FICRC%2FC_G1_E_15_01_0078%2F4954_0&parentid=GBM%2FICRC%2FC%2F545941  The War Diary may provide details of C Company's movements.

For the Boer War, Findmypast have this;- https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FBW%2F293859

Regards,

Alf McM

Hello Alf McM, looks like i will have to invest in FindMyPast.

I am surprised by the link heading "Prisoner of War". Fred was Killed 26/8/14 (CWGC), although soldiers effects say "Assumed Dead". Are we saying he perhaps survived past this date???.

The action of the 26th August was Somersets L.I. first as far as I can tell. The war Diary does have some detail, but, a short write up about the action was completed 3 weeks later and kept with the war diary.

This is what is says......

1st Somerset Light Infantry

Short account of the Battle of Ligny.

On the evening of August 25th the Btn had been divided up. ½ Btn Hdqrs and C & D coys and M Gun Section had moved with the Brigade from VIESLY to FONTAINE AU PIRE. The remainder of Hdqrs and A & B Companies acted as rear guard to the Brigade and arrived at FONTAINE AU PIRE about an hour behind it. The Battalion accordingly went into action piecemeal. At about 5am the Btn was disposed as under.

C Coy (Major Thoyts) holding North edge of the Quarries (west of FONTAINE AU PIRE).

D Coy (less 2 platoons) under Capt Yatman, and M Gun Section holding Eastern edge of Quarries.

2 platoons of D Coy holding road between  FONTAINE AU PIRE and THE QUARRIES.

A & B Coys and ½ Btn Hdqrs entrenching a position north of LIGNY Village. At about 7am these two companies were ordered by the G.O.C to move to a wood just South of the Quarries to be in Reserve. On the way portions of these companies and Btn Hdqrs were diverted by the G.O.C. to the position held by C & D Coys. About 2 platoons reached the wood South of the Quarries.

At 5.30am  heavy artillery fire was opened on the Quarries position which was very exposed and entirely unentrenched. Under cover of this fire (our own guns had not yet come into action) german infantry and machine guns advanced to close range. Some of the latter moved into the village of  FONTAINE AU PIRE and enfiladed the QUARRIES position. Majors Compton and Troyts (the 2 senior officers on the spot) were both wounded. At about 9.30am Major Collins (E.Lancs) and Capt Yatman conferred and decided that owing to the enfilade Machine Gun fire the position was untenable. At about 10am the Companies and  M Gun section began to retire from the Quarries position and occupied a second position north of LIGNY where they remained till about 3.30pm. One platoon of C Coy was not able to get away and being in an exposed position lost about 38 out of 50 NCO’s & men. The remainder of the Bn Reserve retired to the Railway Embankment and to the North of LIGNY & took up positions to cover the retirement of the Rifle Brigade and the platoon of C Coy. No fire was opened from these positions however as it was not possible to distinguish friend from foe on the Quarries ridge.

This position soon became a shell trap and the German shrapnel caused many casualties. The remains of the Battalion reached LIGNY at about 4pm and placed the Northern and Eastern face of the village in a state of defence. Demonstrations by the enemy against the NE and SE corners were driven off. Shortley after 5pm the remains of the Battalion retired from the Battlefield under cover of a French Corps which had arrived.

It is worth recording that the Btn went into action at this battle without any stretchers; as the whole of the 1st live Transport (lead SAA carts) had been withdrawn from the Battalion  the previous evening.

The losses suffered by the Battalion in this action were approximately

19 NCO’s & men…….Killed

9 Officers. 150 NCO’s & men……….wounded

100 NCO’s & men……..missing

CB Prowse, Major.        Cmd 1st Somerset L.I.

Gareth,

The record says he died 0n 26/08/14, but it is written in French! It seems to have been reported to the British Red Cross in Paris.

Regards,

Alf McM

7 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Gareth,

The record says he died 0n 26/08/14, but it is written in French! It seems to have been reported to the British Red Cross in Paris.

Regards,

Alf McM

"Disparu" means "missing". I'm pretty sure this is the record of the Red Cross replying to an enquiry from his family as to whether or not Fred had been taken as a POW. So the 26th August date would have been what they had been given by the War Office.

• Admin

His number seems to be a regular one not a special reserve one as the SLI 1914 medal roll appears to differentiate the SR men with a 3/ prefix.

The regular number 5670 was issued sometime between Feb 1899 (5388 issued) and Feb 1900 (5891 issued) - courtesy of Paul Nixon's army numbers website

So could he have been a reservist at the outbreak? Others might be able to advise but I think he must have extended his service term if he had the same number throughout.

Regards

Russ

• Admin

5678 Archibald George Milne SLI enlisted 11/11/1899, South Africa 27/07/1900, entered France 29/06/1915, discharged 11/04/1919.

Russ

Many thanks Vlaamse, Alf McM & RussT.

Still searching for a photo if any kind member can oblige.

Thanks

Gareth

On 16/05/2020 at 14:12, gareth morris said:

Many thanks Vlaamse, Alf McM & RussT.

Still searching for a photo if any kind member can oblige.

Thanks

Gareth

Gareth,

Have you had a look at local (to Frederick) newspapers? I'd think a fellow falling so early in the war might have a better chance of a more detailed biography.

Best wishes,

Justin

Hello Jove23,

After your suggestion have trawled through the Aberdare Leader via the National Library of Wales.

Have managed to come up with one hit in the 13th March 1915 issue, seems like they were still holding out a hope that he would turn up.

Searched until the end of 1915.

Cheers 

02. Aberdare Leader - 1915-03-13.JPG