Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map showing Trench E 10 (Gallipoli)

Allan1892

Edward Sample (Drake Battalion; 'A' Company; 4th Platoon; 16th Section) service number Tyneside Z/227 was killed in action on the 16th July 1915. Paperwork obtained from the National Archives reveals that he was "buried near Halfway House behind Trench E 10" Can anyone point me in the right direction to a trench map showing Trench E 10? Also, if it was known where he was buried, why would he not have a CWGC grave? (he is commemorated on the Helles Memorial)

Any information appreciated.

Allan

Allan,

this crop shows the position of trench E10 (I have used it before, so please ignore the arrow)

The positions of the Vineyard and the Krithia Road should help you to correctly orientate this crop.

I hope that this is of some help

regards

Michael

935045087_MapHelles12-13JULY1915Ftrenchescrop.jpg.556f563a359b4b5d4661df2aac57a806.jpg

7 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Also, if it was known where he was buried, why would he not have a CWGC grave? (he is commemorated on the Helles Memorial)

Because, even though they knew the rough location of his burial in1915, his grave was not found post-war,

Allan,

I hope that this catches your eye again

as I've just done a double check and as I feared, my above crop does not show the full length of E10

Please see a better map below

1691233930_MapHelles12-13JULY1915.thumb.jpg.ff754ca7f6f15fcb38c9f821af3bd893.jpg

Anyone know if the war diaries for Drake Battalion (January to July 1915) exist and if so, where are they?

Allan

From Gaskell, A. The official history of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation of Gallipoli. [5 parts]. Journal of the RN Medical Service vols. 11-12 (1925-6).

• Drake Battalion was with the second embarkation of the RND expeditionary force from Avonmouth on February 28 and March 1 1915 (on transport FRANCONIA), having been training at Blandford in the earlier part of the year.
  • Monday April 26: "Later in the day the Drake Battalion (Surgeon WIlliamson) landed [at Cape Helles] and proceeded that night into the firing line, but had no fighting. The ADMS landed to see if any help was required from the field ambulances of the RN Division. All the troops seemed very exhausted but the Corps Commander did not require these field ambulances just yet."
  • "On May 5 Major-General Paris finally landed at Cape Helles and took command of a composite division, consisting of the following units- Second Australian Brigade. New Zealand Brigade. Composite Brigade (Lancashire Fusiliers, Drake Battalion, Plymouth Battalion. Royal Naval Division divisional troops."
  • "During the action of June 4, 5, and 6 the 1st RN Brigade was in reserve at first, with the exception of Drake Battalion which was in supports."
  • "On June 12, two men of the Drake battalion, who had refused antityphoid inoculation, went down with symptoms of enteric. ... In short, we were faced with the dread typhoids and dysenteries."
  • "On July 5 the medical officer of the Drake battalion reported as follows concerning the morale of the men. The ADMS replied at once by field message and steps were at once taken."

[see attached image]

Drake 1.jpg

I appreciate that these are only the medical arrangements, so probably not entirely what you want, but may help to give some idea. I can send you the whole of the Gaskell articles in a (much clearer than insertion) PDF if you are interested. Apologies for the quality of the insert but it was the only way I could get the whole letter in one screenshot.

sJ

Edited by seaJane
additions

Thanks for adding that SJ

A very revealing letter and a prime example of the difference between the Gallipoli battlefield and any other.

There was no safe, rear area where a battalion could rest and recuperate after a tour of duty in the firing-line.

There was neither estaminet nor chapel, neither peace nor quiet, neither rest nor safety.

Even the so-called 'rest' areas where constantly shelled and subjected to spent bullets coming down from the front line.

The men could literally never ever relax, even for a moment.

2 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Hi SJ,

Thank you - I have sent you a PM

Allan

Hi Allan

Have sent you the document attached to the PM reply.

sJ

On 17/05/2020 at 12:51, horatio2 said:

There are no Drake Bn war diaries for Gallipoli. Drake Bn was in the 1st (RN) Brigade RND at Gallipoli and the diary for the 1at Bde HQ (May-Dec 1915) is at Kew under WO 95/4291. Available via Ancestry - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557444

Hi Horatio, 

This is great information , do you know if you can download whole document from Ancestry or can do you save to save every page?

4 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

No idea. I do not use Ancestry. Another forum user may have the answer.

Ok thanks is it available anywhere else ?

Sorry misunderstood the question.- answer is no unless someone has their own copy to share as a whole.

88 pages?  the diary for 1(RN) Brigade has 115 images on Ancestry (link above)

Max