Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W I in WW!

lyndaf

Hi . Hope everyone's ok

I am trying to find out about about my grandmother Ethel, who was a feminist and suffragist before ww1 and joined with the WI at some point. I wanted to know what did they do in 1915 onwards for their war effort ? 

I also wanted to know if there's any info about them and if my grandmother actually joined them ( as its for my family tree) ?

Many thanks

Lynda#

keep well

Lynda,

You may find your grandmother and the W.I. mentioned in local newspapers for 1915.

Regards,

Alf McM

Where did she live lyndaf?

The first WI in the UK (and the second in the world) was at Llanfairpwllgwyngyll in Anglesey, which began in September 1915.

It was only a short distance from my primary school.

Their current meeting hut was transported from an army camp (Kinmel Bay IIRC) some years after the end of the Great War.

You could search Welsh Newspapers Online which might have a report about the first and/or subsequent meetings.

My Grandmother, ethel lenthall , lived in tooting , south London at the time of ww1 and married my grandpa angus mar 1918.

many thanks 

Thanks Lynda,

I've looked through Ancestry and Findmypast {including newspapers} but can'y find any mention of Ethel connected to the W.I. I'me sure there will be a record somewhere, and probably your best bet, apart from the links mentioned above, is to contact your local library or Family History Society. They may be able to help, or may know someone else who can help.

Regards,

Alf McM

many thanks.

It seams a very difficult link.  There's nothing about her even in the suffragette records, yet.  Grannie Ethel got married to grandpa angus in March 1918 in Tooting, London. There's only a mention of her occupation- hairdresser . 

In the election records , she finally got the vote in 1921, when  she turned 30 and had a child in 1919.

thanks again, lynda