Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WG Fanning MC

Nick Westcott-White

I am trying to find the whereabouts of my grandfathers war medals.

I know that they were most recently in New Zealand where my uncle, Tim Fanning, emigrated to in 1968. He gave them to my cousin Nick Fanning and when he died I believe his partner had them. I believe that they were subsequently sold in 2008/2009 and a member of this site "nzef14" may have bought them as there was a discussion back in 2008 about these medals and he wanted some more information about my grandfather.

As background my grandfather Walter Grant Fanning ("Bob") was born in St Asaph in 1895. He joined the Herefordshires and was attached to the Machine Gun Corps in May 2016 in WW1 and attained the rank of Major. He won the MC and was mentioned in dispatches. My mother, Teresa Fanning was one of four siblings born in Canada between 1926 and 1932 after my grandparents emigrated to Vancouver, Canada in the early 20's. They all returned to the UK in the 30's and my grandfather was attached to the Tank Regiment in WW2.

His medals consist as follows:

Military Cross (WW1), British War Medal (WW1), Victory Medal with Mentioned in Dispatches Oak Leaf (WW1), France & Germany Star (WW1), Defence Medal (WW2), War Medal 1939-1945 with Mentioned in Dispatches Oak Leaf, (WW2) GVIR Territorial Decoration (WW2). I attach an image of his dress medals which I have.

I would very much like to restore the medals to his family so if anyone knows the whereabouts of these I would be most grateful. I would be happy to discuss terms.

Kind regards

Nick Westcott-White

1678C974-4AE6-4270-9F63-295E9B0A31E8.jpeg

• Admin

Member 'nzef14' hs not visited the forum since 2011.  You can try sending a personal message which should be picked up if the member is still using that account.  As you have found the previous thread just click on the name and then follow the options on the page.

Ken