Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on Shoe Smiths Royal Field Artillery 1914

mickey selcon

Hi

I am looking for information on where a Shoe Smith Corporal RFA would have sat in the hierarchy of a RFA Brigade in 1914 and how many Shoe Smith Corporals each Brigade had on their strength.

The 1914 Star Roll entry for my particular soldier identified that he deployed to France with 23 Brigade RFA on 19/08/1914 and in his role as a shoe smith I assume he would have been much in demand to keep the units horses shoed and therefore fit for service.

So would he have been attached to an individual battery or would the shoe smiths have been grouped together as a Brigade resource, with horses being brought to a central 'collecting point' to be re-shoed?

The man I am looking at was subsequently promoted to Farrier Sergeant and then Farrier Staff Sergeant and was part of 3 Divisional Ammunition Column. so is it possible that all the shoe smiths could have been concentrated in the DAC from the outset?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards and stay safe

Mike

Hello Mike, Shoeing Smith …….. here's an earlier post that answers one of your questions.  Regards.  Ian

Edited by TullochArd

On 15/05/2020 at 11:43, TullochArd said:

Hello Mike, Shoeing Smith …….. here's an earlier post that answers one of your questions.  Regards.  Ian

Bang on correct.  The skill levels were different and it was a promotion to go from Shoeing Smith to Farrier.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi 

Thanks so much for the information it helps answer some of my questions, but the search goes on!

Stay safe 

Mike

7 hours ago, mickey selcon said:

Hi 

Thanks so much for the information it helps answer some of my questions, but the search goes on!

Stay safe 

Mike

Mike, work your way through this and focus on the section “War Establishments”: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b278451&view=1up&seq=33

• 2 weeks later...