Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early German muzzle covers

Steve1871

Just won a bid/ auction in Germany

a Gew.88  74.R.E. 2.32. 
I think means 74th Ersatz Reserve Regiment,2nd company, weapon 32

middle is for M.71 rifle This is very interesting to me, have a few, seen few more but regimental unit has always been stamped on the end/crown on the cover. This is only one I have seen stamped on the side and large/ oversized letters that have me puzzled??  K F R  8.  85

Anyone know what unit this would be. ??

Bottom is 71/84.   123. R.E.  4.33

Think  123rd Ersatz Reserve Regiment. 4th company weapon 33

Nice to see all three lined up for comparison 

Any help with that strange unit and if I got the other two right. Thanks

Steve

E8ACA964-104F-4C52-A4E4-C176AA3B86EC.jpeg

3B43F33C-F806-4782-87E6-10705D5C1F2B.jpeg

BF8F7384-8EB9-495D-B73C-05EE2D0D20FE.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The designation is probably wrong, is not ersatz Regiment, IR 123 Wurttembergisches Nr.5, Ersatz Battalion , 4.Companie, weapon nr. 33

"Das Regiment wurde gemäß Mobilmachungsplan mobilisiert. Neben dem ins Feld rückende Regiment stellte es ein Ersatz-Bataillon zu 4 Kompanien, sowie zwei Rekruten-Depots auf."

Edited by AndyBsk

What nice finds! 

74.R.E. 2.32.  and 123. R.E.  4.33 are indeed as Andy says regimental numbers with the 'E' for the 'Ersatz' or training/spare batallion

K F R  8.  85 is an interesting one... As it is for a Gew.71, I will suggest accoring to the 1877 regulations Kaiser Franz Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2  - these regulations have 'K' for Kaiser and 'F' for Franz. I can't recall seeing another cover marked on the side.

Julian

Thanks Andy and Julian, that K F R is unique

Julian, if it was part of a Garde Grenadier, should it also have one or two “g” stamped in?? I really do not know

13 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Thanks Andy and Julian, that K F R is unique

Julian, if it was part of a Garde Grenadier, should it also have one or two “g” stamped in?? I really do not know

Doubtful on a muzzle cover!

Kaiser Franz was a dedication of the unit, normally the unit was stamped G.G.R.2., so i personally tend to other explanation.

43 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

Kaiser Franz was a dedication of the unit, normally the unit was stamped G.G.R.2., so i personally tend to other explanation.

The 1876 regulations page 53 gives this example:

'Kaiser Alexander=Garde=Grenadier=Regiment u.s.w ... K.A.R.10.104'

So with 'u.s.w.' being the abbreviation for und so weiter or 'etc.', it follows that 'K.F.R .8. 85.' on a Gew.71 muzzle cap will be Kaiser Franz Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2 .

Julian

Yes Julian You are right on it, in the 1877 manual is KFR for Kaiser Franz Regiment,so the dedication of unit was used by Garde units as name of Regiment

Anyway there is too that both version of stamping were used 3.G.G.R. as sample which could be called as KER

"3.Garde-Grenadier-Regiment u.s.w. . .3.G.G.R.10.104."  

because of tricky designation or identical shortage for various units

KAR could be - Kaiser Alexander Garde Grenadier Regiment nr.1

-even as Koenigin Augusta Garde Grenadier Regiment nr. 4

-on bayonets i saw mainly the "nr.G.G.R" variation, but by KFR is real this is the correct explanation as described in manual.

Edited by AndyBsk

Thanks Andy - and yes, I meant 1877 not 1876... :blush: