Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Police Training

Could you let me know where the recruits for the RMP would have trained initially for WW1, I thought it was Chichester but I have seen Winchester mentioned?

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.

I have edited your title to bring more attention to it.

Good luck with your research.

19 hours ago, Gary Spicer said:

Could you let me know where the recruits for the RMP would have trained initially for WW1, I thought it was Chichester but I have seen Winchester mentioned?

There was no “RMP” Corps in WW1 Gary, there were just two very small (initially) units, the Military Mounted Police (MMP) and the Military Foot Police (MFP).  They were officered by an officer in each Division appointed as the Assistant Provost Marshal (APM), who in turn reported to each Army’s Provost Marshal (PM), who was responsible for military discipline and dealing with crime and security.  At that time, in general (initially) there was no direct recruitment to the MMP and MFP, and instead men would volunteer to transfer from the mounted corps of the army (predominantly but not exclusively cavalry and RHA) to the MMP and the dismounted corps (including infantry) to the MFP. However, as the demands of total war increased the size of the Army the policing requirements increased exponentially, and with experienced civilian policemen joining the army, there evolved a policy whereby they could join directly the two parts of the police.  I don’t know where they would have been trained (except it was neither Winchester nor Chichester at that time), but I suspect that places like Aldershot and Rouen or maybe Etaples would have had administrative depots where training also took place.

Afternote: I can confirm that the small training depot for the two military police corps in WW1 was at Mytchett Hutments, Ash Vale, Aldershot, where it remained right through until after WW2. The hutments were erected during the war on land that had previously provided camping grounds for officer training corps annual summer training.  The area covered by the hutments was large.  Today the area is covered by Keogh Barracks.

5D4DDB4D-B0BF-42F9-9899-E9F43654162E.jpeg

A807F78B-9DC7-43FF-9B08-82F326E42545.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Ok, thanks for that. I am writing a story about a Policeman joining the military police in WW1, Trying to get the facts right. 

18 hours ago, Gary Spicer said:

Ok, thanks for that. I am writing a story about a Policeman joining the military police in WW1, Trying to get the facts right. 

I’m glad that you’re being careful with your research.  You can find the basic facts laid out here: https://www.britishmilitaryhistory.co.uk/docs-services-corps-military-police/

You will also find more information by searching “military police” within the forum.  Take care not to become confused with each unit’s domestic Regimental (Military) Policemen, whose role was different.

You can PM me if you want to ask any questions and I will be happy to help.

936711AC-F0E1-4431-A2FC-52B0BD27F11B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

You might find this photo of interest in connection with the plot of your book.  Note the term Military Police Corps, which was referring to both MMP and MFP.

71097886-EDCE-4C26-9704-5014B73809B1.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE