Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/it Henry Noel Grist

Mick M

Grist was a Mining Engineer working abroad for many years before the war. In 1914 he married in Wales and has an address in Buckinghamshire. From here there is nothing until 27.5.17 when he was shot by a sniper and died. He was attended by his orderly who despite more sniper fire recovered his officer to safety. Why they were in the open is not mentioned it may have been at night....The orderly was awarded the MM and that is the only diary entry I can find.173 war diary is a jumble with bits missing removed by NA but I have scoured the relevant sections for both men....The usual clues are not there, his medal card shows France but no date, BWM and VM only so post 1.1.16, there are 2 entries in the register of effects but no War Gratuity, was he entitled? The Ancestry record of died in WW1 does not have the usual detail for where joined up. So I've run out....

Please can some kind person have a look for a pension...wife was Mary Ellen Grist, Oakland's, Haddenham, or newspaper entries...?

I have the obvious Google references including and IWM letter thanking wife for the pic sent to them in 1918 prior to armistice....

4 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Thanks Alf

That was a huge amount of money I have only found a couple of register entries where there is no War gratuity I was wondering if non entitlement was due to a short service... 

3 hours ago, HarryBrook said:

Good clue would he have done normal officer training... Sappers who were Miners didn't 1 week and in France.. I have found evidence of that and would he have needed officer training he was a very highly experienced mining engineer

21 minutes ago, Mick M said:

Thanks Alf

That was a huge amount of money I have only found a couple of register entries where there is no War gratuity I was wondering if non entitlement was due to a short service... 

Mick,

The pension records for Officers have still to appear on Fold 3/Western Front Association. Henry may be mentioned there.

Regards,

Alf McM

33 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Mick,

The pension records for Officers have still to appear on Fold 3/Western Front Association. Henry may be mentioned there.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you. 

Sorry Mick I have no idea if he underwent officer training before being commissioned. 

5 hours ago, HarryBrook said:

Sorry Mick I have no idea if he underwent officer training before being commissioned. 

Just read a section on this subject in Long Long Trail....early in 1916 rule changes meant that those who had been in OTC could be considered for officer training. The course was 4 1/2 months, combine that with the Gazette of his commision gives a pretty accurate picture of when he joined......good clue to bear in mind I don't often research officers but am doing this one because his bat man was given a MM for trying to save his life...