Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps

A Powell

Hi,

I'm attempting to help someone research their relative's service during the war but I don't understand what I uncovered.

Albert T Lloyd's medal card

Notts & Derby Reg L/Sgt. 12462 (Victory & British) TC/101b2

Tank Corp  CSM. No. 75375 (15 Star) Tank/ic 68

Threatre of war first served in 2 B Balkans ( 2.7.15)

Any idea if the Tank Corp served in Gallipoli 1915 ?

I'm totally confused or was it an error on the medal card?

Many thanks

Adrian

The Tank Corps (and their predecessors, the Heavy Section and Heavy Branch MGC) didn't serve in Gallipoli. The Heavy Section was formed in 1916. I will look him up and revert.

Hello Adrian

Found this

Albert T Lloyd

9th Notts & Derby 12462

1st Notts & Derby     "

2nd Notts & Derby    "

Tanks Cps             75375

Cheers

John

I am afraid I don't know which Battalion Albert Thomas Lloyd served in. 

He seems to have forfeited his medals; this is recorded on his MIC and on the medal roll. Para 392 (x) of King's Regulations is the reference. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 13.36.29.png

Para 392 x is to do with convictions. 

KR392 Para 10.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help.

The 9th Btn Notts & Derby did serve in Gallipoli which would fit in nicely with the 15 star award and the 2B Balkans threatre of war.

The little bit of information I got from Albert's relation was that he was a rum un' and got in trouble with the police so the  forfeit of his medals wasn't a surprise.

Cheers

Adrian

In the BNA Western Gazette Fri 14th Jan 1921 a case of Bigamy. I cannot open to read the full description as I do not have a subscription. It is the same name and mentions the Tank Corps etc

14 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

In the BNA Western Gazette Fri 14th Jan 1921 a case of Bigamy. I cannot open to read the full description as I do not have a subscription. It is the same name and mentions the Tank Corps etc

Beat me to it - was just looking at this in BNA. Definitely him and for sure the reason his medals were forfeited. He was serving and with No.1 Depot Battalion at Worgret Camp. 

Edited by david murdoch

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Tank Corps

MOD should, I think, still have his service record if he was serving in 1921. Costs £30 and takes a while, but it would likely answer many questions. Worth considering, perhaps?

Thank you everyone for all the help and informative information.

It's much appriciated and will pass on the information.

Kind regards

Adrian

Edited by A Powell

His "Tank Corps" number puts his transfer to the Heavy Branch MGC in early 1917.  

Royal Tank Corps Enlistment Records 1919 - 1934 on findmypast show that he was wounded four times, between July 1916 and August 1917, little more than a year.

Even if they were all minor wounds that would have been traumatic.

INW

He served with B Battalion; Ian Verrinder (who has researched the unit and published a book on No 5 Company) includes Lloyd in his private data base (which he kindly sent me several years ago).

Lloyd was wounded, but remained at duty, on 29 Jul 1917. He states that Lloyd was a sergeant and a tank NCO (i.e. second in command of a crew).  He does not list his company but it is likely to have been No 4 Company which was moving to its starting position that day.