Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Consequences of enlisting under age


wmfinch

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

 

If it was discovered that a soldier had enlisted under age, what would normally happen to that soldier?  Assuming he was sent back to Britain, would he then be eligible for conscription at a later date?

 

Also, are there any records of such soldiers, other than their War Records?

 

Many thanks for taking the time to look at this posting.

 

V/R

 

Wayne 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Hello Everyone,

 

If it was discovered that a soldier had enlisted under age, what would normally happen to that soldier?  Assuming he was sent back to Britain, would he then be eligible for conscription at a later date?

 

Also, are there any records of such soldiers, other than their War Records?

 

Many thanks for taking the time to look at this posting.

 

V/R

 

Wayne 


It depended upon the circumstances.

 

If his parents wrote to the CO the boy was usually discharged and sent home and then later (after conscription began) called up in his age group.

 

In other cases the boys were sent to special units set up by the Army for boys under 18 and or of poor physical stature.

 

You can read a full account in the book by Richard Van Emden: https://biblio.co.uk/book/boy-soldiers-great-war-van-emden/d/653504753?aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLfUwK2w6QIVQWHmCh2TBANSEAQYAiABEgKy3fD_BwE

 

You should also bear in mind that prewar there was a formal process whereby each battalion had a small establishment of Boy entrants, often the sons of soldiers in set roles as boy drummers, boys in the regimental band, or trainee artisans in the unit shoemakers and tailors workshops. When war was declared these boys were sent to regimental depots until they came of age and were then drafted to their battalions.

 

E1A83EBE-F36A-43A8-B819-0BBF797D866A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:


It depended upon the circumstances.

 

If his parents wrote to the CO the boy was usually discharged and sent home and then later (after conscription began) called up in his age group.

 

In other cases the boys were sent to special units set up by the Army for boys under 18 and or of poor physical stature.

 

You can read a full account in the book by Richard Van Emden: https://biblio.co.uk/book/boy-soldiers-great-war-van-emden/d/653504753?aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLfUwK2w6QIVQWHmCh2TBANSEAQYAiABEgKy3fD_BwE

 

You should also bear in mind that prewar there was a formal process whereby each battalion had a small establishment of Boy entrants, often the sons of soldiers in set roles as boy drummers, boys in the regimental band, or trainee artisans in the unit shoemakers and tailors workshops. When war was declared these boys were sent to regimental depots until they came of age and were then drafted to their battalions.

 

E1A83EBE-F36A-43A8-B819-0BBF797D866A.jpeg

Hello Frogsmile,

 

Once again, you a wealth of information and I am very grateful for your reply.

 

STAY SAFE :-) 

 

V/R

 

Wayne

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Hello Frogsmile,

 

Once again, you a wealth of information and I am very grateful for your reply.

 

STAY SAFE :-) 

 

V/R

 

Wayne


Glad to help Wayne, there is a good example here: https://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk/story/the-boy-soldier-sidney-lewis-the-youngest-man-to-serve-in-the-british-army/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Brilliant, I'll have a good read.

 

Very much appreciated :-) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...