Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.E.8 C2926 High Spen

Clint

Hello,

Currently on ebay at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Royal-Flying-Corps-RAF-R-E-8-Bomber-crew-Scotsman-Australian-1918-Photo/392794422032?hash=item5b745f3b10:g:xwgAAOSwKW5euDaX 

There is a photo of an R.E.8 serial C2926 which has the name High Spen. Having checked I see that at the time High Spen was a mining village in County Durham. Does anyone know why the aircraft was named after High Spen?

Regards,

Clint

High Spen is close to where I live. Lt Douglas does not feature on the War Memorial.  Gateshead Local Studies Library section (which is truly excellent with regard to Great War research) may be able to trace a Douglas family connection

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies.

Given that High Spen had a colliery at the time of the Great War, I wondered if the aircraft might have been donated by the owners, but then you say Fovant, that C2926 was not a donated aircraft, so that would appear to rule that out. Is there a central list of donated aircraft which I can view?

I will await further responses from forum users, but it may be that as you suggest Hyacinth1326 that I need to contact Gateshead Local Studies Library.

Thanks,

Clint

• 2 weeks later...

The photograph of the aircraft R.E.8 serial C2926 of No 5 Squadron RAF 1918 is here.  The third photograph shows the same officers in a different aircraft.  I am researching it and the crew and will post more information when known.

img20200526_12283841.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 12.53.06.png

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 15.49.19.png

Hello JRG,

Thanks very much for the response. I really look forward to reading the results of your research.

Regards,

Clint

Edited by Clint

Dear All, 

Is the RE offr Pilot the Scotsman and the RA offr Obs the Australian or vice versa?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

From the information to hand at the moment the Pilot is Lieutenant Archie Douglas (Scottish) who is not identified and his badged regiment/corps are as yet unknown.  The Observer is 2nd Lieutenant E G W Coward, Royal Field Artillery (Australian).

Dear JRG,

Thanks for that.

The excellent photograph is remarkably well-documented, and the combination of Scot and Australian is heartening!.

Lt Douglas seems to have a Royal Engineers cap badge...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thank you Kim,

It is indeed a superb and well detailed photograph. There is still much research to do on the aircraft and crew. Hopefully I will be able to provide more information soon.

Best wishes 

John

What a great photo.  Thanks for sharing.  

My pleasure

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2020 at 08:32, Fovant said:

It is not one of the serial numbers for RE8 official presentation aircraft, so most likely a crew connection

There are a number of cases of names being allocated to planes yet failing to appear in lists of presentation aircraft. lve seen a few announcements in local newspapers that aren't confirmed by other records . So 'High Spen ' could be a genuine case.

If so, l bet the pitmen raised the funds , not exclusively the colliery owners.

Thanks to the British Newspaper archive.....

1029107241_Highspen.jpg.353dba8ae4c7deffb5d020a14f763940.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just seen this post and was also intrigued about “ High Spen” .  Look forward to the eventual update.
pierssc,

Thanks for unearthing the page from the newspaper “The Consett Guardian “ didn’t know it was in the British Newspaper archives, will have a look as it covers the area from where I was  originally from.

I think you have clearly answered the question from the first post. Well done.

Personnel records for both the pilot and observer can be found in the AIR 76 series at the National Archives.

Archie Douglas is Archibald Douglas, born 21 May 1899, with a home address in Elgin, Scotland. According to his record he was employed as a estate clerk and surveyor draughtsman from 1 September 1913 to 3 July 1917. Nothing in his personnel record to indicate prior service with an Army regiment, the first entry is dated 18 September 1917, arriving at 5 squadron on 27 September 1918. Record also shows service with the ATC in WW2, so definitely the right man based on what has been said above.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8255158

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/5853

His first mention in the London Gazette is as a cadet being promoted to a probationary 2nd Lieutenant on 2 February 1918.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30515/supplement/1808 

His observer, Edwin Gordon Whitaker Coward arrived at 5 squadron on 3 September 1918.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8249708

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/4278

Edited by Tawhiri

18 hours ago, Toontraveller said:

Just seen this post and was also intrigued about “ High Spen” .  Look forward to the eventual update.
pierssc,

Thanks for unearthing the page from the newspaper “The Consett Guardian “ didn’t know it was in the British Newspaper archives, will have a look as it covers the area from where I was  originally from.

I think you have clearly answered the question from the first post. Well done.

The Consett Guardian is handy to have online access to (that is where I'm from originally). Came in handy regarding the DLI.

It's the first time I've heard of 'War Weapons Week' or that plane named after Consett.

Craig