Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Re: Lt Noel McFarlane RAMC 1914-1917

Danny152

Hello all,

I have a photo of a WW1 RAMC officer.  Temp Lt Noel MB McFarlane 

He was awarded a MID and gazetted on the 4th January 1917, Vol 29890, it says operation LGS, not sure what this means? Also would there be report how he got his MID?

Looking at his medal awards it says.

BWM,VM.IVX/2875.30.4.23 then emblems, what does this mean please? British war medal, Victory medal.... and then??? 

Any help, other bits of info would be great.  Thanks for looking.

Regards

Danny Burt 

• Admin
3 hours ago, Danny152 said:

Temp Lt Noel MB McFarlane

Danny,

The MB bit is his doctor qualification!

Charlie

• 1 year later...
On 08/12/2021 at 12:11, charlie962 said:

LGS I believe stands for London Gazette Supplement, (not Lincoln Grammer school !) followed by the publication date. If you look at the Gazette you will see to which original despatch it referred and what time period was covered.

Here is the page on which your GGF appears

Here is the header page of that very long list of people mentioned in Haig's Despatch.

403372863_GWFHaigDespatch13Nov1916.JPG.7570db0f635b4072a917e2cd63de6b49.JPG

There is no reference made to a particular campaign/time period. Haig's second despatch, covering the Somme battles of 1916, was published 29/12/16 in the London Gazette and dated by Haig as 23/12/16. I would presume therefore that the long list of mentions probably related to the same time period because Haig's letter was dated 13/11/16 and he probably keen to see the men rewarded rather than wait for his descriptive text?

Here is a link to the LongLongTrail and Haig's second Despatch. Here is another link to the LongLongTrail giving guidance on researching a mention in despatch.

His wounding (or at least the one that sent him home, must have been in the last few days of the War? It was noted in the Daily Casualty List of14/12/19. This normally appeared about a month after the actual event. Plus his repatriation to UK 13/11/18 suggests the same.

Rearpeerer, welcome to the Forum. I see you have also posted some detail on the Postcards thread. May I suggest that your two posts (with Frogsmile's reply) merit their own thread under 'Soldiers' and thus all details can be kept together, avoiding duplicated effort?

The decision is yours. All you need to do is alert the moderators to what you want by clicking on the 3 dots top right of your post.

Charlie

A very good idea Charlie, but there’s been neither acknowledgement, nor thanks for some reason…