Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to identify army units, please

tyrese

Dear Frogsmile,

Yes, I can see what you mean and photograph 9 is of a very young man, and it ties in with John Anderson already being in the 3rd NF when he joined the regular army when he was 18. 

The chin is about the same in every photograph. Thank you so much for going back to look at the photographs and replying. I suppose I should expect the majority of these military photographs would be of John Anderson because the collection has come to us via his daughter, my husband's Grandma.

Thank you again,

Fiona 

22 minutes ago, tyrese said:

Dear Frogsmile,

Yes, I can see what you mean and photograph 9 is of a very young man, and it ties in with John Anderson already being in the 3rd NF when he joined the regular army when he was 18. 

The chin is about the same in every photograph. Thank you so much for going back to look at the photographs and replying. I suppose I should expect the majority of these military photographs would be of John Anderson because the collection has come to us via his daughter, my husband's Grandma.

Thank you again,

Fiona 

The photos were interesting to see Fiona and I was glad to help.

For your interest I enclose a photo of the type of badge he was wearing on the glengarry while he was an auxiliary soldier in the 3rd (Militia) Battalion of the NF.

EBF5F614-BD1A-4CC8-AC2C-41D06CE4A0F1.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you Frogsmile and everyone else for all the useful information. It is really interesting, a bit confusing to a novice, all the different uniforms, hat badges etc., but it is good to know more about the regiments than just identifying an ancestor. 

Thank you.

Fiona