Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/11 Battalion London Regiment and Rifleman L G Hemsley.

Rerun57

I am researching the wwI experiences of my grandfather. I am fortunate that he left behind seberal norebooks and postcards that he sent from France, Belgium and Germany. In his notebooks he mentions many other men and women with addresses. I assume that many of these addresses were exchanged with other soldiers so that contact might be made after the war or that next of kin could be visited should something happen to the other. One name mentioned is Rifleman L G Hemsley, 451940, A Company,  2/11 County of London Regiment, BEF. My grandfather met him at 25 General Hospital in Hardelot in February 1918. The 2/11 London was disbanded at the end of January 1918. Rifleman Hemsley died of wounds on 19 May 1918. I have assumed that he recovered form his injuries that brought him to 25 General Hospital and was injured on return to his unit. His entry on the CWGC website still has him as being in the  11 Battalion London Regiment on the date of his death.Any guidance or information that anyone might be able to provide about this gentleman or his unit would be most appreciated. Might he have stayed in hospital from February to 19 May 1918 and not returned to the front? Many thanks in anticipation.

Fold3 Pension ledger shows a Leonard Godfrey Hemsley 451940 in 9th Co of London dependant Mrs Helena L White (sister), 10 Townsend Rd, Chislehurst replaced by Douglas Thomas (step-father).

Also the CWGC Graves Registration Form shows him as 9 London as well as 11.

LLT shows 2/11 absorbed by 1/9 on 6 Feb 1918 and renamed 9th Bn :

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/london-regiment/

War Diary available:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355123

Edited by Jrmh

I think I have identified the incident and location when Rifleman Hemsley was injured. It seems he was probably a member of a working party at the front, at night, that came under heavy bombardment. 19 of the 50 men in the party were casualties. Many thanks for the pointers. It is very much appreciated.