Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any books on the War Office and GHQ in France.

SgtPrice

Dear Forum Pals, 

I would be very grateful if anybody knows of a book or publication that details the relationship between the War Office in London and GHQ in France. I am trying to get an understanding of the dynamics of the relationship between the two and who the main protagonists were. I have read the chapter on "The Staff" in Charles Messenger's "Call-to Arms" and would like to know more about it. I am planning to read "G.H.Q." by Frank Fox but was wondering are there any other books on there on the subject. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.     

regards,

Private Price. 

I don't know if either specifically fit the bill but there's ' At G.H.Q ' by Brig-Gen Charteris published by Cassell in 1931 which are his letters home from the beginning  

of the war until September 1918 . And ' The War Office at War ' by Sir Sam Fay originally published in 1937 by Hutchinson and reprinted by EP publishing in 1973 .

" The greater part of this book deals with the stupendous effort made by the British Empire in transporting and provisioning the millions of men it sent

to the various fronts . Extracts from the author's war diaries reflect the fevered atmosphere of 1914-18 and tell too of the rivalry and intrigue behind the scenes "

( part of the jacket blurb on the reprint ) . 

Edited by Black Maria

Black Maria,

Many thanks for the suggestions. They both look like they will be of interest.

regards,

PrivatePrice.