Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM TBs 78, 68 and 100

daggers

I have found that these vessels were among those where Lieut. George Ainslie Rooke served in the 1890s, but have been able to find little about them.

I am sure this is the place to provide the answer.

He retired from the service as Commander in 1912, but was recalled for war service, retiring once more as Captain in 1918.  Can anyone please add more?

Thank you

Daggers

I had wondered whether the TBs had been named by 1914, but they had probably dated badly by then.

Your comment on Boulogne is helpful.

many thanks

D

Naval-history.net has WW1 service for two of the boats named:-

TB.068 (ex-TB.68), torpedo boat, ex-1st class, 125-footer. Built 1886 Yarrow. 75 tons, 125(pp)x13x5ft. TE 700ihp, 19.5kts. Armament: 2-3pdr, 5-14in tt. Portsmouth, Devonport or Nore Local Defence Flotillas. Sold 30.6.20 Ward, Hayle.

TB.078 (ex-TB.78), torpedo boat, ex-1st class, 125-footer. Built 1886 Yarrow. 75 tons, 125(pp)x13x5ft. TE 700ihp, 19.5kts. Armament: 2-3pdr, 5-14in tt. Portsmouth, Devonport or Nore Local Defence Flotillas. Sold 2.10.19 Maden & McKee.

TB.100 (D – not listed, C – ex-Indian No.1, BALUCHI, sold 1909; Cn – broken up 1909).

A couple of years back I was looking at info on a sister vessel of 068 & 078. TB 064 in this case, but I don't think that there's much to add to H2's above, except that these boats had crews of 16. 

TB 064 lost her bow tube early in her career (4 remaining) but this was probably the result of extensive repairs required after a serious collision. This may also account for the tonnage being slightly different: in her case 87.

As far as I can tell only numbers were used; not names.

Edited by michaeldr

The early TBs were certainly dated by 1914, but several saw active service throughout the war.

My g-grandfather, T.F. Britton, commanded TB 055 at Queenstown, Ireland for two years from April 1917. He was tasked with protecting minesweeping trawlers, destroying mines that were swept up, and undertaking anti-submarine patrols. Most notably he was responsible for detecting UC-42, for which he was awarded the D.S.C. TB 058 was also involved in that operation.

These photos are from his collection.

Jon

HMTB 055 18-02-19.jpg

German mine detonation 18-02-19.JPG

Those are great photographs Jon; thanks for sharing them

As well as Home & Irish waters, several of these boats served in foreign stations during the war.

The ones I was looking at a couple of years ago served with the East Indies & Egypt command in defence of the Suez Canal,

before being transferred to Lemnos in the Aegean to do similar work there at the huge anchorage at Mudros

HMTB 24 was at Dover in Feb 1917.

She had been damaged and the crew of RFA Racer salvaged her.

The salvage work is told in my book.

Those in charge at Dover were very insistant that she be recovered.

Dover was of course one of the busiest ports supplying our army and every ship was important.

Unfortunately this is one of the few salvage jobs they did where I don't have any pictures.

Tony

• 1 year later...
On 12/05/2020 at 00:59, Jon_B said:

The early TBs were certainly dated by 1914, but several saw active service throughout the war.

My g-grandfather, T.F. Britton, commanded TB 055 at Queenstown, Ireland for two years from April 1917. He was tasked with protecting minesweeping trawlers, destroying mines that were swept up, and undertaking anti-submarine patrols. Most notably he was responsible for detecting UC-42, for which he was awarded the D.S.C. TB 058 was also involved in that operation.

These photos are from his collection.

Jon

HMTB 055 18-02-19.jpg

German mine detonation 18-02-19.JPG

Great info and pics 

On 11/05/2020 at 07:17, michaeldr said:

A couple of years back I was looking at info on a sister vessel of 068 & 078. TB 064 in this case, but I don't think that there's much to add to H2's above, except that these boats had crews of 16. 

TB 064 lost her bow tube early in her career (4 remaining) but this was probably the result of extensive repairs required after a serious collision. This may also account for the tonnage being slightly different: in her case 87.

As far as I can tell only numbers were used; not names.

Looking for something else this evening, I came across my previous research and found this picture of  067, which may be of interest here

1821298660_HMTB.67probablysimilartoTB.064(ex-64).jpg.28bf50cb66fbe5172329fe4fbfb7e1d1.jpg