Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deciphering a medical condition

KernelPanic

This is from a pension record of a relative who served in Egypt with the 20th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade between 1916 and 1919. He was discharged in June 1919, but died about three years later, I presume from the complications of dysentery etc. His wife received a war widows pension

Just wondering what the two letters on line 2 mean after Genito Urinary? L.B. I.B.?

Thanks

Untitled.jpg

Edited by KernelPanic

Ah yes, TB. Now I see it. Thanks.

That couldn't have been good on top of dysentery in the pre-antibiotic days.

Is he commemorated by the CWGC?

If he was discharged because of the TB, and died of it then he should be commemorated.

Good point. I don't see anything with a quick search.

His medal card says his disability was 'Due to' his war service, and his widow received a pension that started immediately after his death. But there's no record that his discharge was a consequence of his condition. So maybe he was deemed fit upon discharge.

Also, there was a gap of over three years between his discharge and death, so I don't know whether that would rule out a commemoration.

I've attached his VM and BWM roll entry, and part of his pension record. I can't find any other records, including a SWB.

James grayton thompson 2.jpg

James grayton thompson.jpg

Edited by KernelPanic

O.K.

He died in 1922, after the cut off date for commemoration by CWGC, which ended in August 1921.

Still, his discharge was deemed attributable to war service.