Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CHARLES ISLES MM

charles isles

I am researching the world war one archives concerning my grandfather Charles S Isles  regimental number 98310, served in 17 bn Machine Gun Corps, awarded military medal.  Can I find out the details of the award, ie  which battle  and what action,  thank you

chay.jpg

chay.jpg

I don't know if you have seen the image below. He was 'gazetted' in The London Gazette, 7/2/1919, Supplement 31173, Page 2120

Charles Isles.jpg

thank you for this, I had not seen it before. Are you aware of any method of tracing the medal. I believe it was sold to a collector in 1967 when my grandfather passed away.

regards

try the British Medal Forum online and the magazine "medal news"

Hi

Medal award rolls show previously  2435 R.Highlanders. Disembodied 7.2.19. 6th Royal Highlanders  MGC Roll

MIC  Charles Isles....Brit/Vic/Star. 2.5.15. Theatre 1. Pte. 2435 R Highlanders,  Sjt.98310 MGC. NO MM on MIC

Leave a message on the MIC  or any of the records on Ancestry, "Write a comment" box, top right, anyone searching for him will see it and may contact you. IT WORKS, I have benefited from a collector who did the same.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

• 1 year later...

I have tried to contact you by PM, but have not yet had a reply.

On the offchance the Forum sends you a notification upon adding this to the thread.....

I still have your grandfather's 14/15 Star & Victory medal.

I would be very happy for them to return to the family, so please get back to me.

thank you Alan,, I have sent you a separate message regarding donating the medals to the Black Watch museum.  Are you able to give me any pointers to tracing the Military Medal he was awarded whilst serving with the Machine Gun Corps

regards

Charles

I think the last thing you would want to do is donate them to a museum. 

A 1914-15 Star and Victory Medal, being rather common awards from a broken group are very unlikely to be displayed. They will probably be kept in storage and could well be sold in the future should the museum need funds or need to make room - there are plenty of examples of this practice occurring.

I agree with Redcoat. They are family medals, so keep them. The MM may turn up due to this thread being visible.

Link to thread on same MM (For Battle of Amiens): 

Edited by Ivor Anderson