Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wound info

David Hewitt

Hi, My grandfather was wounded three times during the Great War, he was in the Sherwood Foresters 10th and after being wounded on the Somme was sent back with the Northumberland Fusiliers. He was gassed at Passiondael, I have a postcard of him recouping at Thorsby Hall , Notts dated Jan 1 1918. He was again wounded on his return. Is there any way of finding medical records with details of the wounds received? I joined forces records where there was a field report June 16  that he was hospitalised with Whitow of his finger right hand! He was entitled to wear 3 wound stripes but after this I can find nothing. Any tips or advice gratefully received,

Dave

The 3 wound wound stripes indicate wounds that fitted the criteria for publication in the Official War Office Casualty Lists.

There are 3 online resources that I know of that have these lists but coverage, transcriptions & scans of originals means that you have a good chance of getting a result for the WOCL list but not 100%.

They don't say too much though, what you get is name, rank & number and a date which is usually considered to be 3-4 weeks after the injury.

Extracts from the lists were sometimes published in local papers.

The whitlow, finger RH is not an injury so is nothing to do with wound stripes. To me that suggests there is a MH106 entry for him into a medical unit. FWR and FMP both have these, again with different coverage.

What is needed here is a name and his numbers.

TEW

A whitlow is an infection just behind a finger or toe nail. It can be due to herpes or can be bacterial:

Image here

Robert

Edited by Robert Dunlop

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

His name was Ernest Pond, numbered Sherwood Foresters 21674, Northumberland Fusiliers 42185, 7/5619, 291738. He was from Gringley on the Hill,

Thanks again 

Dave

A quick look shows him on a Casualty List dated 25/1/1917 under 5619. This won't give injury details but does account for one wound stripe.

He also shows on MH106 series on Findmypast under 21674 as admitted to 51 Field Ambulance in 1916. I don't have a subscription so I don't know any more. The original will give a date, injury and where he went once discharged. This does sound like the Forces War Record you found previously.

Then FMP to have a service record for him under 42185. I think this may not actually be a full service record but rather a single sheet containing names of sick & injured, this may note the injury type and where he was IE which hospital. Again, I can't access the original. This may relate to another wound stripe.

Gaining access to findmypast would be the best move to see the originals.

TEW