Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified medals in photograph

moulie11

Hello all

I wonder if someone might be able to shed some light on the medals worn here in this image?

This is my great-grandfather, who served with the 2nd Wiltshires during both the Second Boer War and the First World War. He was killed in action on 24th October 1914.

I'm thinking those worn on his left-hand side are the South Africa medals, as the number of clasps shown match those on the medals themselves, which I have. But what might the others be?

Additionally, if anyone is able to offer any insights into the uniform worn, that would be much appreciated. Is there anything here which could help date the photograph, for example?

Thanks in advance.

Luke

FB_IMG_1588969722987.jpg

Obviously pre 14/18 but the medal on far left is an Army temperence Assoc India 7 yrs, and the next (diamond shape) is Army Temperance Association India 3 yr, I think. The next from left is also Army Temperence Assoc India, Queen Victoria Memorial 1901, the last is Army Temperence Assoc India 1 yr.  ?

Charlie

PS I'm sure yiour correct for QSA and KSA

Edited by charlie962

I completely agree with Charlie that he is wearing Army Temperance Association Medals, in addition to the Queen's South Africa Medal and King's South Africa Medal.
Regretfully, I cannot help with a scan of the first, but I believe that these are the following three medals.

Sepoy

INDIA TEMP.jpg

INDIA TEMP REV.jpg

TEMP JUB.jpg

TEMP JUB REV.jpg

ATA IND.jpg

ATA IND REV.jpg

Thanks to you both for your replies. That's brilliant. Good to know someone in the family stayed on the straight and narrow, then!

This might sound like a ridiculous question but, presumably, this implies he was posted to India at some stage? I see the 2nd Wiltshires spent time in India before returning home in 1895 but he wouldn't have been old enough to have been out there at that time. So, that's a bit of a mystery. Unless he'd served with 1st Wilts (who were out there from 1895) prior to transferring to 2nd Wilts in time for service in South Africa. 

Luke

Has your Gt Grandfather's Service papers survived? It was not uncommon for men to be posted between Battalions.
If you have not found any papers, just let us know his name.

Sepoy

4 minutes ago, Sepoy said:

Has your Gt Grandfather's Service papers survived? It was not uncommon for men to be posted between Battalions.
If you have not found any papers, just let us know his name.

Sepoy

Sadly not. He was Private Walter Mouland (5420), b. 1879.

The rolls for the South Africa medals show 2nd Battalion as the unit, so it may be that he served for a brief stint in the 1st Wiltshires prior to that. Perhaps a look at his regimental number would help to pin down a probable enlistment date at least.

Luke

I have had a quick look on Ancestry and Findmypast but cannot see any surviving Service Papers for Walter (There are Militia papers on Findmypast for another Walter Mouland, 3rd Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment - a possible relation?).  However, the medal roll for the King's South Africa Medal does show that Walter was transferred to the 1st Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment, which was serving in India at the time.

Sepoy

NB - A study of the Regimental numbers indicate that he probably enlisted during 1899.
see here
https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/12/wiltshire-regiment-1st-2nd-battalions.html

31794_221528-00033.jpg

Edited by Sepoy

5 hours ago, Sepoy said:

I have had a quick look on Ancestry and Findmypast but cannot see any surviving Service Papers for Walter (There are Militia papers on Findmypast for another Walter Mouland, 3rd Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment - a possible relation?).  However, the medal roll for the King's South Africa Medal does show that Walter was transferred to the 1st Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment, which was serving in India at the time.

Sepoy

NB - A study of the Regimental numbers indicate that he probably enlisted during 1899.
see here
https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/12/wiltshire-regiment-1st-2nd-battalions.html

31794_221528-00033.jpg

Thanks, Sepoy.

It's a face-palm moment for me, as I've consulted that medal roll before and hadn't actually made a note of the remark. That now makes much more sense - enlisted 1899, served in SA 1901-1902 and then transferred to the 1/Wiltshires and went to India (where he was awarded the medals shown). He was back in England in 1908, which is when he married my great-grandmother.

Hard to work out whether the remark about being attached from 3/East Surreys relates to Walter Mouland or the chap below.

Thanks again for helping to get the timeline straight and with identifying the medals. Much appreciated.

Luke

1 minute ago, moulie11 said:

Thanks, Sepoy.

It's a face-palm moment for me, as I've consulted that medal roll before and hadn't actually made a note of the remark. That now makes much more sense - enlisted 1899, served in SA 1901-1902 and then transferred to the 1/Wiltshires and went to India (where he was awarded the medals shown). He was back in England in 1908, which is when he married my great-grandmother.

Hard to work out whether the remark about being attached from 3/East Surreys relates to Walter Mouland or the chap below.

Thanks again for helping to get the timeline straight and with identifying the medals. Much appreciated.

Luke

Hi Luke
The East Surrey Regiment remarks relate to the man below, as confirmed here
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo96%2f0590%2f139%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo96%2f590%2f1342546

2 minutes ago, Sepoy said:

Hi Luke
The East Surrey Regiment remarks relate to the man below, as confirmed here
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo96%2f0590%2f139%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo96%2f590%2f1342546

Thanks - again! That clears that up. I can now start to write this up and begin plotting out his movements in SA with 2/Wiltshires.

Luke