Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to search for names on memorials

Nottmtrucker

Can anyone please advise best possible way to locate if any memorials have the name of a relative who died in ww1? 

His details are 21291 Pte Thomas Henry Rogers 

2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters died 16 Sept 1916, enlisted Dec 1914 in Mansfield Notts. Lived Sutton in ashfield prior to the war but was originally from Staffordshire 

Many thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, Nottmtrucker said:

Can anyone please advise best possible way to locate if any memorials have the name of a relative who died in ww1? 

His details are 21291 Pte Thomas Henry Rogers 

2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters died 16 Sept 1916, enlisted Dec 1914 in Mansfield Notts. Lived Sutton in ashfield prior to the war but was originally from Staffordshire 

Many thanks in advance

The nearest to a central list is this - https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search

Craig

On 13/05/2011 at 00:05, Scritch said:

Hi,

My great grandmother's first husband, Thomas Henry Rogers, was a Private in the 2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters. According to SD he was killed in action on the 16th September 1916. His number was 21291, born Chadsmoor, Staffordshire, enlisted Mansfield, Notts, resided Sutton in Ashfield, Notts.

He doesn't appear to be listed on the CWGC website for some reason, or at least, I have been unsuccessful in trying to find him on there.

My question is, can any Forum member provide any more info about him at all please? Other than he was employed as a miner, the family know little else about him. I was also wondering if any Forum member may have seen his name on any war memorials in the Mansfield area or even in Chadsmoor?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Richard

On 13/05/2011 at 10:23, KevinBattle said:

CWGC have him as RH Rogers:-

Name: ROGERS. Initials: R H. Rank: Private

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment). Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 19/09/1916. Service No: 21291

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. E. 15. Cemetery: LA NEUVILLE BRITISH CEMETERY, CORBIE

His Medal Index Card showhs Thomas H, Entry into Theatre 18th August 1915, so entitled to the 1914-15 Star as well as British War and Victory medals.

That also shows 19th September as Date of Death.

In this instance the CWGC seem to have two transcription errors, perhaps the Family Verification Form wasn't returned?

1901 Census has him as a 21 year old Thomas living with his widowed mother Rebecca, sisters Miriam and Mina, brothers Ben, Joseph and John W, at Barron Clough, Chapel en le Frith. The family appear to be into calico weaving. Was there a print works nearby?

Thank you for digging those old threads but they have really confused me as one thread had same details as me but the other is stating he was born in Chapel en le frirth in Derbyshire?

30 minutes ago, Nottmtrucker said:

Thank you for digging those old threads but they have really confused me as one thread had same details as me but the other is stating he was born in Chapel en le frirth in Derbyshire?

Some more info re #21291 Rogers that was not available in 2011

image.png
https://www.fold3.com/image/669530956?terms=1019,21291

Craig

Hi Craig, I am absolutely amazed of your contribution to my venture it’s very much appreciated I can tell you.

those last 2 pieces of information kind of confirm I’m on that right track. 

Once again thank you very much

Hi Nottmtrucker,

Unfortunately I never did manage to track down any memorials that named Thomas Henry Rogers. He was definitely from Chadsmoor rather than Chapel en le Frith though. My grandma was born in 1921 in Bulwell to Ellen Rogers, and Lucy, Cliff and Bill were her half brothers and sisters, so it's definitely the right chap. Bill also moved back down to Chadsmoor after his mothers death in the very early 20s to live with his fathers family.

My mum has a photo of Thomas Henry and Ellen Rogers somewhere, if I can get her to dig it out I'll happily share it with you. I'd also be interested to know how we are related actually. My grandma was brought up in an orphanage in Nottingham and we know very little about her early life or her family. Please feel free to drop me a PM!

Best wishes

Richard

I used to know both Hucknall and Bulwell quite well. My late mother's family came from Bulwell, my late father's from Hucknall. I used to see the Hucknall War Memorial a lot (It's in the local park.). Looking through some Nottinghamshire history sites a few weeks ago, I'm sure I came across a list of names on the Hucknall War Memorial - of course I can't find it now. Will keep trying.

RM

16 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

RM

Is this the list you are looking for? (Scroll down page for list of 555 names) https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/58983

David

Thank you David,

That wasn't what I had in mind. There is a transcribed list somewhere. That's actually better. I hadn't noticed before that the pictures of the panels could be enlarged.

Sadly I cab't see Thomas Henry Rogers.

RM

Hi thank you for that. Fortunately I have found Thomas Henry Rogersvon a war memorial, initially the difficulty lay with the fact there was a clerical error in the fact they had his surname as Rodgers on the paperwork but Rogers on the memorial.

It's located All Saints Church War Memorial Stanton Hill Sutton in Ashfield

I've not been yet because of lockdown but will  as soon as! 

Kind Regards 

Dave