Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Richard Lewin, 25th Bn C.E.F. Kia 21/8/16 Northampton

Old Owl

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help with the above soldier.

His full details via his Canadian service record are:  67795 Sgt Richard C. Lewin, 25th (Nova Scotia) Bn C.E.F. who came from Northampton. He was killed in action on 21/8/16 in France, age 23.

I was hoping that someone may have indexed the Northampton newspapers and may be able to provide some detail.

Many thanks,

Robert

Hi

here is LINK for Canadian 25th Battalion war diary

regards

Jon

There's something in the Northampton Chronicle and Echo of 30th August 1916, but I can't get all of it.

"LEWIN, SERGT . RICHARD C., Canadian Contingent, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lewin, 17, Bailiff-street, Northampton, was killed in action on August 21. He was 22 when he enlisted on the outbreak of war, and he had been at the front for 12 months. He was born..."

14 minutes ago, IPT said:

There's something in the Northampton Chronicle and Echo of 30th August 1916, but I can't get all of it.

"LEWIN, SERGT . RICHARD C., Canadian Contingent, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lewin, 17, Bailiff-street, Northampton, was killed in action on August 21. He was 22 when he enlisted on the outbreak of war, and he had been at the front for 12 months. He was born..."

"LEWIN, SERGT . RICHARD C., Canadian Contingent, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lewin, 17, Bailiff-street, Northampton, was killed in action on August 21. He was 22 when he enlisted on the outbreak of war, and he had been at the front for 12 months. He was born at"

The rest of the obituary is missing from the paper and it goes in to the next man's.

Craig

1 minute ago, IPT said:

That explains it!

Well at least we managed one more word - it's progress !

Craig

Many thanks Jon for the link to the war diary and also to IPT and Craig for your efforts with the newspaper entry. I wonder why some of the entry is missing?

All a great help--does the newspaper indicate if a photograph is attached to the entry?

Many thanks again,

Robert

No, it's just in a long list of obituaries. I suspect the typesetting just went awry.

35 minutes ago, Old Owl said:

Many thanks Jon for the link to the war diary and also to IPT and Craig for your efforts with the newspaper entry. I wonder why some of the entry is missing?

All a great help--does the newspaper indicate if a photograph is attached to the entry?

Many thanks again,

Robert