Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 ARD

Foxkarej

I've just found an ancestors RAF record from mid 1918.it has  1 ARD in the postings box it also has GB and a 3 figure number beginning with 4 above that in small writing in the same box. Could anyone tell me what or where this is. He was from Saxilby Lincolnshire.

I have other queries on it but I need to post a photo of it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by Foxkarej

ARD is Aircraft Repair Depot. If you give us your ancestor's name and number we may be able to tell you more.

Regards,

Alf McM

7 hours ago, alf mcm said:

ARD is Aircraft Repair Depot. If you give us your ancestor's name and number we may be able to tell you more.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you. I'm unable to post the image because of poor resolution. He was William Leslie Fox 21.8.1900 service number 261824 his postings are abbreviated as follows

RD  RD to STR  STR to STHC  STHC to 1 ARD, he joined mid 1918 service length DOW, I presume duration of war. His ranks are listed as far as I can make out Pte AM3 and AC2. What are the posting and rank abbreviations please? 

1 hour ago, Foxkarej said:

Thank you. I'm unable to post the image because of poor resolution. He was William Leslie Fox 21.8.1900 service number 261824 his postings are abbreviated as follows

RD  RD to STR  STR to STHC  STHC to 1 ARD, he joined mid 1918 service length DOW, I presume duration of war. His ranks are listed as far as I can make out Pte AM3 and AC2. What are the posting and rank abbreviations please? 

AM3 = Air Mechanic 3rd Class and AC2 = Aircraftsman 2nd Class.  I believe that these equate to the same rank but are from different periods.

Hope this helps,

Robert

RD - Recruits Depot, not sure about the others.

DOW is Duration of War

Pte AM3 - Private Air Mechanic, 3rd Class, this was changed to

AC2 - Aircraftsman 2nd Class.

Regards,

Alf McM

Would the Aircraft Repair Depot be in the UK or France. I can't find a medal card for him, would he have qualified for any with so little service.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Old Owl said:

AC2 = Aircraftsman 2nd Class. 

That should be Aircraftman without the s :)

STHC has been discussed a few times on the forum without any definitive answer, one possibility is School of Training Halton Camp.

Charlie 

22 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

STHC has been discussed a few times on the forum without any definitive answer, one possibility is School of Training Halton Camp.

Charlie 

Agree.  HC = Halton Camp

Air Mechanic 3rd Class (a Technical grade) was remustered Aircraftman 2nd Class (1st Jan,1919 - If I correctly recall) followed by RAF Trade (usually bracketed).

Only a relatively small number of RAF Medal Index Cards appear in the Army Medal Index Cards.  Medal awards etc should appear in the service record (although there are exceptions).  

Edited by RFT
Revised text.

Picking up from RFT - his service record (the back sheet) has  (as expected with service with 1 ARD) no entry in the medals section.  He reclassified as AC 2 on 1 Jan 19 (on his record), from AM 3 having started as Private 2,  he was a rigger(back page again) .

Loose end - the little notations near to 1 ARD can safely be ignored as some sort of administrative gobbledygook of the time.

Max

Again, many thanks. All now happily resolved with this person's service.

6 hours ago, charlie2 said:

That should be Aircraftman without the s :)

Charlie 

A slip of the keyboard finger :thumbsup: