Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW camp souvenir brochure

GVBP

When my grandfather's house was finally cleared after the death of my aunt a few years back amongst the documents was what I can only describe as a souvenir brochure of the German POW camp where he was kept prisoner.

The booklet was illustrated with photos of such scenes as "the camp laundry"

Was it common for such items to be issued? What motivated the German authorities to hand them out?

Feel free to post scans of the pages of the booklet 

I am sure our forum pals will be interested

and welcome to the forum 

Ray

5 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Feel free to post scans of the pages of the booklet 

I am sure our forum pals will be interested

and welcome to the forum 

Ray

Thanks Ray, my sister is in possession of it but I'll see if I can get her to scan it next time we talk.

Sadly it won't photocopy on her old printer so she's going to send it recorded delivery. She took it to a military museum in Colchester- they had never seen anything like it.

My sister has his service records too, don't know if any on here would be interested but she is sending me copies, ephemera like Christmas cards from "the ladies of Atherton"

I'm certain many members would relish the thought of viewing your collection. I along with the previously mentioned museum have never come across such a brochure, I have many photo postcards that my grandad brought home from his time as a pow but nothing like a brochure. Looking forward to seeing the items

Interesting, one of my great uncles was in a pow camp in Germany, died and now lies locally.

Chaz,

"now lies locally". Do you mean local to the camp and if so where? Or local to you?

Simon

Niederzhweren cemetery, Germany. Records state camp was at  Cassel .  uncle Fred's trio and plaque arrived last week along with his brothers Fred and Percy's trios.

Edited by chaz

On 04/05/2020 at 21:10, GVBP said:

When my grandfather's house was finally cleared after the death of my aunt a few years back amongst the documents was what I can only describe as a souvenir brochure of the German POW camp where he was kept prisoner.

The booklet was illustrated with photos of such scenes as "the camp laundry"

Was it common for such items to be issued? What motivated the German authorities to hand them out?

The Germans published several picture books about POW camps during the war. I think they were mainly meant as propaganda to show to the world how nice all the camps looked and how well the prisoners were treated. 

Jan

• 1 month later...

My sister still isn't wanting to go to the post office but has taken photos of the pages of the booklet, I can post the rest if people are interested 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg