Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to identify details on uniform

BarbaraG

Could anyone offer suggestions regarding this chap. Wearing spurs - cap badge possibly 11th Hussars.

Uniform identification.jpg

I'd agree with that.

Simon

Nice photo.

Badge looks a good match to me (it's pretty distinctive) and I can't think of an alternative.

P

Thank you both. Is he holding a riding crop as opposed to a swagger stick?

Edited by BarbaraG

Thought so - thanks

Any clues with tunic - 1902 pattern...

Possible John? Walker

(I have no clue - just adding comments from hubby)

Edited by BarbaraG

• Admin

Yes I'd agree 11th Hussars. 

Interestingly, a Private J W Walker (No 6379) went to France in August 1914 with the MG Section of the 11th, and a Privet J Walker (No 5226) was killed in action, also with the MG Section, on 19th October 1914. I can't help wondering if they're the same man with the numbers confused somewhere.

He was a Private, not a Trooper (the latter rank not being introduced into Line Cavalry until 1922). The Macclesfield reflects item is interesting: may well have been a Reservict. If he had been in the 13th, at the outbreak of war he would have been recalled to the Colours, but as his regiment was overseas, he would have been sent to another cavalry outfit, and the 11th would make sense. As the 11th have him listed in their History as killed serving with the regiment, I assume he was with them at his death rather than with the Life Guards.

The question is whether the chap in the photo was killed or not. If not, then this may well be 6379 Walker as opposed to 5226 Walker.