Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

224th Field Company Royal Engineers

David Ingleby

I am confused.

I am researching Sapper Horace Atkinson of the above company of the RE, which I believe was attached to 40th Division. The company was raised in Doncaster which is where Horace was from. He was killed on September 1917, and although not named specifically, the war diary stated that one Sapper was missing believed killed.

According to the war diary, the unit had been based for some months at Heudicourt on the Somme, yet Horace is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial (Panel 8). Why there and not on the Theipval Memorial?

I'm sure there must be a logical explanation, but I have checked the sources several times and still reach the same result. Confusion.... Any help would be much appreciated.

David,

It might be worth checking the Commander RE war diary for the division which may give more of an idea. It might be an error by the CWGC (I've come across at least one other similar case). Alternatively, he might have been in the Ypres area and somehow detached from his unit. It also might possibly be an error in the date or a mis-transcription on his company number. 

Kind regards

Colin

Many thanks Colin. Plenty fo food for thought!

David,

Do you know if he was injured at any point? If he had been then its perfectly possible upon his recovery he was transferred to a unit that required him more. If his service record survives it might shine a bit of light regarding transfers though its statistically unlikely it exists. In the absence of a service record he may appear in the daily casualty lists if the wounded theory has any weight to it.

Simon

Thank you mancpal - no, his service record has sadly not survived. Where would I find the daily casualty lists?

The casualty lists were published in The Times and can be searched on FindMyPast (fee). I'm not sure if your local library will have free access to FMP (when they re-open) but it might be worth checking. I've never researched the archive though was just about to try when another more knowledgeable member popped up and answered my question. Hope you have the same luck!

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/05/2020 at 17:22, David Ingleby said:

I am confused.

I am researching Sapper Horace Atkinson of the above company of the RE, which I believe was attached to 40th Division. The company was raised in Doncaster which is where Horace was from. He was killed on September 1917, and although not named specifically, the war diary stated that one Sapper was missing believed killed.

According to the war diary, the unit had been based for some months at Heudicourt on the Somme, yet Horace is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial (Panel 8). Why there and not on the Theipval Memorial?

I'm sure there must be a logical explanation, but I have checked the sources several times and still reach the same result. Confusion.... Any help would be much appreciated.

Atkinson H. Spr  RE  Don Chron 19th Oct 1917 page 3.jpeg

Hi David I`m intrigued as to your interest in  Horace Atkinson. I live in Doncaster and collect medals to Local servicemen and women. I have the medals awarded to Horace Atkinson in my collection. i also have details of Horace and his family. Regards

Hello Jim:

To answer your query, I'm a researcher for the Great Northern Railway Society and am currently researching for a book on just over 120 men from Doncaster who worked for the GNR and lost their lives in the Great War. Horace is one of those. He started work at The Plant (the GNR's main engineer gin works in Doncaster), in 1908 as an apprentice wheelwright.

I assume the photo is from the Doncaster Gazette or Doncaster Chronicle? Once lockdown has eased, and Doncaster Library has reopened in its new home, I intend to make several visits so as to go through the newspaper reports (details from "Win's List") to see if there is more biographical information and photos. Do you have any objection to me copying and using the photo? I would also be interested in any other family info other than the censuses? If I can be cheeky, I would love to have a photo of his medals - which would be used with suitable attribution.!

No problems at all David. The picture is from the Doncaster Chronicle 19th Oct 1917 page 3. I have over 12000 photos from the local press from WW1 and WW2 on my computer gathered over a number of years from the Library in Doncaster. I used the microfiche in the main library not the originals in the archive. I photographed them using my digital camera. As you will know the microfiche is not to good but it was easier to use this rather than trawl through the archive. When i need a good copy I obtain it from the original copies at the archive. I have included the inscription from the Tyne Cot Memorial. I visited France and Belgium twice last year to visit as many of the graves/memorials of my soldiers as I could. I also have medals to a Joe Tomlinson of the 295th field Coy Royal Engineers who was killed in WW2 during the 2nd battle of El Alamein regards Jim.

Horace 1.jpeg

Horace 2.JPG

Horace 3.jpeg

That's great, many thanks Jim!

Hi David/Jim,

Horace left a 'will' - £1.50 from here. As a long shot, the cover sheet may (or may not) state a place of death. His Soldiers' Effects record (link) gives a date range of 25/26-9-1917 for his death, and has it as 'in action'. Fold3 has a pension index card which shows:

image.png.f6479e0bc8001b908d057221f76b5fbf.png

Image sourced from Fold3

I guess that his child was born on 5.7.1916.

Looking at his RE service number, it looks like he probably joined up in mid/late May 1915.

99202 Wainwright - joined up 20.5.1915

99204 Underline - joined up 20.5.1915

99213 Hill -  joined up 20.5.1915

99216 Ingamells - joined up 20/21.5.1915 (depending on which document you look at in his service file). The file indicates that he joined 224 FC on 22.5.1915, and disembarked 2.6.1916. However, it is at least possible that Horace could have had different posting, and overseas dates though.

99226 Hewitt - joined up 21.5..1915

99242 Hudson - joined up 22.5.1915

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Sorry for the delay in replying, Chris. Many thanks for the info. Horace Green, the illegitimate son, was still living with his mother Rebecca in the 1939 Register in Doncaster and working for LNER as an engine cleaner.

For some reason I hadn't found the Pension Record Card so I am most grateful to you for copying it. Interesting that Rebecca and Horace's father share the pension. They all lived at the same address so I assume half was for the child and half towards board and bedding. Rebecca and Horace junior were still living at the same address in 1939.

Thanks also for the service number info.

David