Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

250 Pte Stanley Harry Phillips RAMC

kev1874

Evening all,

Im trying to do the nigh on impossible and identify the above RAMC solider who's medals I have, can anybody help me please and tell me what the /1 means after his date of entry on the 14/15 star roll? I've not seen it before and everyone else has /3 after them on his page so I'm wondering if it means anything.

Also can anybody tell from his number when roughly he signed up? Or even better where? I'm struggling to find any references to him in any division landing around his date of entry.

I know I'm probably not going to get far on him being RAMC but hes the only solider in my medal groups I cant identify other than MIC and Medal rolls so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kev

20200503_175244.jpg

Edited by kev1874

The most likely candidate is the Stanley Harry Phillips who was born 15/12/1893, registered in Lambeth.  It looks like he married Lilian Rodgers in Melton Mowbray 27/4/1921.  Possibly died August 1986 in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.  1946 Honours - British Empire Medal - Stanley Harry Phillips, lately Head Warden, Civil Defence Wardens Service, Cofton Hackett, Birmingham. That's if they're all the right man.

The 1 may be theatre of war i.e. (1) = France.

I'm not sure what can be done about the service number. There are 12 medal cards for RAMC men with the number 250.

Edited by IPT

Thank you so much, I'll look into him further it ties in with my thinking he was in the 47th (2nd London) division who were landing in france around the same time as him.

/1 makes sense being the theatre served in.

I didnt think his number would yield much after I found them 250's and a 248 signing up in the RAMC 2 months after he landed in france but thought it was worth asking just in case there was a method to the madness!

Thanks for the help

Kev

Edited by kev1874

Hi Kev,

I'd agree with IPT that the '/1' bit represents the theatre of war where he disembarked.

3 hours ago, kev1874 said:

Also can anybody tell from his number when roughly he signed up?

A number that low would suggest to me that he might have been a pre/very early war TF soldier. It's a real pain that the medal rolls for TF RAMC men don't show their 1917 re-numbers. I have the same problem with my great uncle, who at one time I know (from his shoulder titles in a photo I have) was with one of the TF London units, but I've not been able to establish which one. There must be some logic to how the roll was created as it appears to be constructed from a number of smaller/sub lists showing men alphabetically by surname. The logic has escaped me though for many years. One thing I thought that I'd try is to look for records of other men from his section of the roll that had the same '11.3.15/1' entry, to see if anything could be gleaned. Scrolling back (I didn't go forward) I saw a couple of men with the same entry, but only 422 Davidson with any records. He has some hospital admission records which indicate that in September 1915 he was serving with 84 (2nd London) Field Ambulance (28 Division). However, their unit war diary indicates that they first arrived in France in January 1915, so he (Davidson) must have arrived overseas, and been subsequently posted to them. In the same way, I guess that Stanley may have been sent overseas as a reinforcement and been posted to a unit, rather than going overseas with the main body of a unit. That may have not been to the 84 FA though. Hmmm...all very frustrating !!

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Further confirmation that /1 or /3 means the first Theatre of war entered is that according to their medal cards J Picton 2134 & F J Pye 2132 both entered theatre of war 3 (Egypt) on the dates shown.

16 hours ago, travers61 said:

Further confirmation that /1 or /3 means the first Theatre of war entered is that according to their medal cards J Picton 2134 & F J Pye 2132 both entered theatre of war 3 (Egypt) on the dates shown.

Thanks travers for the confirmation 

Chris, if there is a method I cant fathom it out, I've got a least 8 men numbered 250 in the RAMC and a 248 that signed up 2 months after Stanley landed in France! I'm being to think he was a reinforcement but like you say very frustrating, I've taken to scanning WD's of field ambulances for any rolls, found a few so far but none with Stanley on, oh well the search will continue 

Cheers 

Kev