Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conscription: Farmers - mid 1917

rolt968

I am researching one of two brothers who were jointly running a farm which had previously been run by their father. Their father had retired by the 1911 Census. Unfortunately I am not able to say at the moment if he still retained the tenancy.

The younger brother joined the RGA Black Watch in the spring or summer of 1917. It is possible that he had volunteered or indeed was a Derby Scheme vounteer who had been exempt from call up for a long time.

Unfortunately very few of his military documents survive.

The local newpapers have not produced any information.

I am wondering if he was conscripted. Was there any (official or unofficial) change in the view of the Military Service Tribunals towards farmers, particulary those sharing running a farm in the spring or summer of 1917?

RM

Edited to correct unit!

Edited by rolt968

1 minute ago, rolt968 said:

I am researching one of two brothers who were jointly running a farm which had previously been run by their father. Their father had retired by the 1911 Census. Unfortunately I am not able to say at the moment if he still retained the tenancy.

The younger brother joined the RGA in the spring or summer of 1917. It is possible that he had volunteered or indeed was a Derby Scheme vounteer who had been exempt from call up for a long time.

Unfortunately very few of his military documents survive.

The local newpapers have not produced any information.

I am wondering if he was conscripted. Was there any (official or unofficial) change in the view of the Military Service Tribunals towards farmers, particulary those sharing running a farm in the spring or summer of 1917?

RM

I don't specifically know about farmers but they changed the criteria regarding who should be deferred on a regular basis.

What is his name / number ?

Craig

Pte. John Stirton, S/21698, 3, 8 and 1/7 Black Watch. Killed between 21 and 26 March 1918 serving with 1/7 Black Watch. The gratuity suggests that he enlisted less than a year before his death, I think.

He made a holograph (not a soldier's) will at Nigg on 27 August 1917 (how I know he was in 3 Black Watch).

The Medal Roll says 8 then 1/7 Black Watch. At the moment I can't find any reason for a change of battalion - I wonder if he was posted to France for 8 RH but was reallocated to 1/7.

(Apologies for the error in the unit in the first post - I am writing up anpther man at the moment!)

RM

19 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

The gratuity suggests that he enlisted less than a year before his death, I think

It does, you're correct on that .

Craig

As Craig said

51 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

they changed the criteria regarding who should be deferred on a regular basis.

Circulars from the Local Government Board along with various forms were sent to the Local Tribunals each one had and R suffix.

The R119 Memorandum on Agriculture gives a little insight in to what was going on in January 1917. 

Dave

R_119_Memorandum_Agriculture.JPG

1 hour ago, dink999 said:

As Craig said

Circulars from the Local Government Board along with various forms were sent to the Local Tribunals each one had and R suffix.

The R119 Memorandum on Agriculture gives a little insight in to what was going on in January 1917. 

Dave

R_119_Memorandum_Agriculture.JPG

Thanks that's interesting. My man was farming in Scotland - but I suspect something similar was sent out there.

RM

I'll probably come back to this thread.

There may be something in two sources in the local archives which of course I can't get at.

Also two brothers in the same parish in a similar situation were discharged time served in the summer of 1916 and don't seem to have been recalled/conscripted.

RM