Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres 1920?

Hi can anyone help, please? I'm trying to find out the location of the photo, it is of, left to right, my grandfather, unknown French girl, my great uncle's widow, my great grandfather and great grandmother and another unknown French girl. It was taken in September 1920, when they visited France and Belgium to visit the final resting places of 2 of my great uncle's, one is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery and the other is commemorated at Tyne Cot. I'm hoping to visit France and Belgium later this and I hope to recreate the photo but of myself in it. I have always assumed it to be of Ypres, as that is what it says on the reverse of the card, but looking at photo's of the same era I can't seem to find anywhere that looks similar.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

175.jpg

Scaifes & Donovans Taken at Ypres Side Two (Photo on Side One).png

• Admin

https://images.app.goo.gl/73dESaXuAzeHrpBX9

Welcome to the forum 

it could be the ruins of the railway station, to me it looks like a reasonable fit, but I may be wrong.

Michelle 

The building on the right looks to have been rebuilt. The gable end brickwork and the perfect roof are indicators (unless its a fault on the photo).Theres also what looks like two soldiers in a cellar in front of it.

Simon

Edited by mancpal

I would say it's the ruined Sint-Niklaaskerk.

Jan

I second it. Other images on google show various angles.

Simon

• Admin

Yes I have looked as well, and it looks a much better fit than my original erroneous post 

And even before seeing Jan's and Simon's reply I thought : that must be Sint-Niklaaskerk.

Aurel