The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Macminn (Mcminn) Gallipoli

Jay Cottage

Searching for Macminn (Mcminn) died 22/12/1915. Gallipoli

RASC attached Sussex Yeomanry. Not on CWGC. Any information welcome

Edited by Jay Cottage
Missing word

What was his first name? That would help for as you may be aware there are a number (9) of medal cards for 'Mcminn' RAMC.

Yours

PB

Edited by Polar Bear

He is mentioned in Sussex Yeomanry Powell Edwards as Pte Macminn RASC Attd. AB Sqdn Died Dec 1915. I have  another reference as initial G. Although not sure that is correct I need to find the source of that

Edited by Jay Cottage

No G's I'm afraid in National Archive Medal Cards for McMinn's RAMC...

Wait... Apparently I should learn to read. You wrote RASC not RAMC :huh: In that case there is only one McMinn in the RASC with a medal card and that would be http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3868224

This does not look to be a match.

There are some MacMinn officers but thats it.

Sorry I can't be of better help.

P

Edited by Polar Bear
Also learn to spell

Only 1 McMinn RASC received the 1914-15 Star - M2/052935 J McMinn and he survived the war.

Charlie

It is me that needs to give precise information! Sorry it is RASC. Appreciate your time

It’s interesting. He is in the diary and also on a memorial in the Sussex Yeomanry museum in Newhaven. Will continue 

17 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

If he's the right man, here's a death notice courtesy of  the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200503-090522.jpg

SB

The other ref from Croydon and the Great War is more likely to be correct:-

Mackmin, Alec Lawrence, T164, Driver, R.A.S.C. (attd. Suss. Yeom.)
b., Cadbury, Somerset, 16 Jan., '92 ; y.s., Mr. & Mrs. A. Mackmin,
Av. Mans., Elms Av., Eastbourne. Educ, Trinity Sch., East-
bourne. Single. Electrician. Res., 73 Malvern Rd.,T. Heath.
Enl., 5 Aug., '14 ; zv., Gallipoli, 5 Jan., '16. D., 7 Jan., '16,
on Hosp. Ship " Assaye," Alexandria. Buried, 8 Jan., Chatby
Mil. Cem., Alexandria.

If he had been KiA, then he would have been buried on the peninsula and not in Egypt

edit to add: I do hope that the CWGC's inscription is correct on the stone

Edited by michaeldr

Wow gentlemen, thank you. I look forward to reading/ recording this information. Currently researching 1st / 1st Sussex Yeomanry who died in Gallipoli. My grandfather SQMS S F Staines #1441 was in Yeomanry pre ww1 and survived. (Still looking for the two missing medals, one being the Territorial Efficiency, understood to have been sold in early 1990’s)

4 hours ago, michaeldr said:

I think that this is your man

Driver MACKMIN, ALEC LAURENCE Service Number T/164 Died 07/01/1916 Aged 24 Army Service Corps

Michael

I have to congratulate you on getting that variant of his name. Many readers will not appreciate how difficult it is to get that sort of "odd" variant , Mc, Mac , Mack (one I would never have thought of), min, minn,,,

As with everything , when you get the right answer, it looks easy !

33 minutes ago, corisande said:

As with everything , when you get the right answer, it looks easy !

Thank you kind Sir,

• 1 month later...

As a follow up the CWGC have noted the incorrect wording:-

“As a point of interest and having looked at the link you kindly sent, it appears that there is a possible engraving error in the personal inscription on his headstone:  the first line reads 'Never loving memory' - this should surely read 'In ever loving memory' . Therefore I will forward our correspondence to our Records Section, for them to amend the error in our digital records, so that at some point in the future when the whole headstone requires replacement, it will bear the correct inscription.”

1 hour ago, Jay Cottage said:

it appears that there is a possible engraving error in the personal inscription on his headstone:  the first line reads 'Never loving memory' - this should surely read 'In ever loving memory' .

That's  embarrassing!

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That's  embarrassing!

Seriously! How many sets of eyes looked at that and said "Looks good to me" before chisel touched headstone?

• Admin

I found a headstone with "Until We Melt Again" at Boulogne Eastern. Since corrected.

Michelle 

Oh dear ...

AANS nurse Bessie Pocock was the Matron on the HS Assaye, and she notes in her diary on the 7/1/1916:

Arrived Alexandria 8.30 a.m.

Dr A Mackmin, A.S.C. No.164, died 8 am today – shrapnel wd back, paralyzed.

Amazing note and thank you. Another Sussex Yeoman I am researching who died on Assaye was Private Walter John Laverne Jordan 2254 on 20th December 1915

Nick

11 hours ago, Jay Cottage said:

Another Sussex Yeoman I am researching who died on Assaye was Private Walter John Laverne Jordan 2254 on 20th December 1915

I'm afraid it's hit and miss - and sadly she doesn't mention any of the deaths around this date.