Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical and Surgical Work as a Prisoner of War

seaJane

By Alexander T.I. MacDonald, MD, DPH, Temporary Captain RAMC. 

https://europepmc.org/backend/ptpmcrender.fcgi?accid=PMC2341054&blobtype=pdf

Came across this when I was looking for something different; and interested to see that the next article is by Surgeon Commander G.M. Levick, RN, the surgeon with the Eastern Party in Scott's TERRA NOVA Expedition.

sJ

Fascinating.  Thank you seaJane. 

David.

Thanks for the article , seaJane! I found it most interesting as I am very interested in the German medical organisation. It's interesting to read the opinion of a professional from the "other side" about it. Of course, he only experienced it as a POW and in the last months of the war, when due to all kinds of reasons, it was decreasing in quality. Some of the remarks I know of course. It is obvious that mechanisation of the transport was a huge problem for the German army (and still was in WW2, I remember my grandfather always commenting about the extensive use of horses even in 1940/44).

There is an interesting remark about stretcher-bearing. The author is not very enthusiastic about the German system of using "a ground sheet, slung on a pole, borne on the shoulders of two bearers". This system was widely used already in 1917 (I don't know when it came into use) in Flanders. I personally thought it was a very smart way of transporting wounded over the quagmire (comparing it to how goods are carried in a jungle). When one compares it with the testimonies of the British trying to evacuate wounded with stretcher bearers, needing an endless amount of time, a large amount of bearers (at least four) and a high chance of the stretcher being dropped or tipping over when one of the bearers slipped, fell or dived, I thought the German system was quicker and safer. I would love to find out whether any reports were written about these different systems.

Jan

Hi Jan,

I'm glad you found it interesting. Yes, I wonder whether, once the hostilities were over, medics from both sides got together and compared notes.

I suspect that everyone favours the system they're most accustomed to.

seaJane