Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Birmingham Barracks

My grandfather joined the RAMC as a Terratorial in Birmingham in 1915.  He was assigned to the 1st Southern General Hospital, Dudley Road Section, Birmingham. He also served at the Red Cross Hospital that was at Abbey Manor in Evesham, for which I have some lovely photos. Some other photos have a note to say they were taken at Number 1 Barracks, does anyone know where these Barracks were located? I can upload some photos, if it helps.

Thanks,

Kevin. 

Welcome to the Forum

The main central Birmingham Territorial barracks was the Thorp Street Drill Hall (a couple of hundred yards south of Birmingham New Street Station) and while mostly associated with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment I include it as a possibility.

Link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorp_Street_drill_hall,_Birmingham

Yours

P

Thanks Terry and Polar Bear. The attached photo has no notes on it, but I would say from the photo in Wikipedia that the building in the background looks like the rear of the Duddeston Barracks. I’m not sure whether my grandfather is in this photo. The soldier on the left hand end looks very much like him, but my grandfather was never a lance corporal. He was still 14 when he signed up (he said he was 17). Unless he borrowed the tunic, I’m not completely certain it’s him.

F01FE7C7-517D-4BCB-8B76-9476170EAAC4.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Looks like the next one along and the one sitting in front are brothers. Third along back row I think has been in another post. 

Could this be a cadet unit?  Some of them look very young to have the number of stripes they're showing.  Does the corporal on the right have an artillery cap badge?

I thought they might be cadets as well. They seem to be from several different regiments.

The man sitting in the front left appears to have stripes as a sergeant but is wearing a Sam Browne and possibly has a sword.

The next man looks older with a moustache. He might have the bear and ragged staff cap badge of the Warwickshire Yeomanry