Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German 1915 Postcard

ryandunny

Hi all. I was sent this as a present from my dad today. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about it? Literally any information would be great as I know nothing about it ( Unfortunately I don’t have many German items in my small collection!) 

any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Ryan. 

78A2BB85-DCAC-409E-8A97-D86271DA5821.jpeg

1E011BBC-75CC-449F-9386-B9C2847D0ABD.jpeg

It has the "Soldaten Brief" stamp for (I believe)  2. Garde Brigade-Ersatz-Bataillon

Written from Euzevin (just north of Flirey)

Meinen Lieben!

Hiermit ein kleine

Aufnahmen meiner Komp.

(Probably have all the declensions wrong!)

My Dears

Here a small photo of my company.

And he ends

Hoffentl[ich] geht alles gut

1000 gr[ussen]  Jozef

Hopefully all is well.

1000 greetings  Jozef

Can't quite yet decipher what he writes inbetween.

Hi,

missing part:

Teile euch eben mit, daß wir heute unsere Stellung wechseln, wir kommen in die schwierigste und verlustreichste Stellung der Division. Nach Hause schreibe ich hiervon nichts.

This is to inform you, that we change position today, we will be transfered to the most difficult section of the division with the highest loss rate. I don´t write about this when writing home.

GreyC

Coincidences, coincidences, I’ve spent the best part of the week sorting, describing and mounting several hundred WW1photographs, most of the German photos had an “SB” stamp on them, I was going to ask on the forum what the significance was.

oh nice one!! thanks a lot for that! makes you wonder if he got through the 'most difficult section of the division'.

Glad it could help you too Derek!

It is hard to be 100% sure but it looks like he unfortunately didn‘t. An Unteroffizier der Reserve Josef Bäcker serving with 1. Garde Ersatz Regiment, (the 2.G.B.E.B. formed the 2nd Bn on 27.9.1914), was KiA on 22.01.1915. He is buried at Thiaucourt-Regniéville.

http://genwiki.genealogy.net/GER_1

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/768926

https://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche/detailansicht.html?tx_igverlustsuche_pi2[gid]=9dcdfd62569310ad187abe9fcd6ebde4&cHash=1d2d6f640fc01340eb3d24112c332945

Charlie

wow! poor bloke. Makes the present from my dad even more special! amazing to have this (probable) story to it. Thanks a lot Charlie.

the man standing 5th from the left has the NCO lace at the collar, would this indicate its probably him? being an Unteroffizer?