Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

34538 Pte Patrick Lee 18Bn The King's(Liverpool) Regiment

GJW

Hi,

I have newspaper reports of a soldiers death from our village. Peter Tierney of Tankards Town, Castledermot, Co. Kildare, Ireland. He was reported as having been killed in France. Both in the 'Weekly Freeman" 20th October 1917 and "The Nationalist" 28th September 1918 (see pictures below). He is not listed on CWGC website nor can I find any trace of him serving in the army. The 1901 census does place a Tierney family in Tankardstown but that is it.   I would appreciate any guidance on solving this. It would mean a lot. Gerard

Article Close Up.PNG

N-LT 28-09-1918.PNG

1901 census.jpg

Yes and lost to history if he is. Hoping that he can be found some way, hoping a name misspelling or the sort instead

There is a Patrick Lee 34538. Died 23/9/17. Not sounding plausible I know but soldiers' effects has his legatee as Margaret Tierney IE. Peter's sister from census?

TEW

Should have added Lee was from Tankardstown.

Edited by TEW
Additional

His WILL is here

http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/1918_22/LeeP_E435949.pdf

SDGW

Name: Patrick Lee

Birth Place: Kildare, Ireland

Residence: Tankardstown, Co. Wicklow

Death Date: 23 Sep 1917

Death Place: France and Flanders

Enlistment Place: Seaforth, Lancs

Regiment: The King's (Liverpool) Regiment

Battalion: 18th Battalion

Regimental Number: 34538

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Edited by wandererpaul

The will of Private Patrick LEE 34538 18th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment survives, is undated, signed as P. Lee & shows his legatee as Margaret Tierney of 2 Goldsmith Te... [Terrace ?] Bray, Dublin.

http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/1918_22/LeeP_E435949.pdf

Ireland, Casualties of World War I, 1914-1922 & SDIGW give his birth place as Kildare, Ireland and age 23, and SDIGW confirms birth place.

Edited by travers61

Definitely seems to be him. He was actually 27 (rather than the recorded 23) when he died on 23rd September 1917. Birth Certificate:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 01.35.17.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 01.09.03.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

This is truly amazing work. Thank you all. I am so impressed. Gerard 

I have only one Peter Tierney in my files for the 26 Counties. He was from Bansha, County Tipperary, Dublin Fusiliers, number, 26119. KIA 29/11/1917, and buried in Croisilles British Cemetery, France.

Cheers.

Tom.

Pension Ledger confirms

image.png.063345f789a73c96be0445d69d557d93.png

George

Yes indeed. This seems to be our man. We think it is Peter Tierney. Most likely used his Brothers Christian name and Mothers Maiden name. Assuming the Nationalist newspaper got the right P - Peter over Patrick. Have a birth cert for margaret also. What a find!!!

Gerard

I think given the age and the 1901 census didn't the Newspaper ID the wrong son?

Can anyone show any post 1917 history for Peter T?

I think the evidence here should be good enough to supply CWGC with the alias details which they should add to Lee's record.

Medals to PL sent out to Patrick Lee's address no doubt in Tankardstown. Received by family, not returned.

TEW

Kudos to all the genealogical detectives of this thread.  Truly impressive work!

Working on it TEW. Trying to eliminate either name post 1917. Peter is not on 1911 census at home but Patrick is. Will update the thread if I can unravel this bit.

• spof changed the title to 34538 Pte Patrick Lee 18Bn The King's(Liverpool) Regiment

No problem and Thank You

Yes, great work folks.

Pat

Following some more research we are comfortable to say that the soldier Patrick Lee (Alias) was Peter Tierney from Tankardstown. It appears that his brother Patrick remained a farmer. He married in 1938 and died in 1942. The potential confusion was that our soldier enlisted as Patrick (brothers name) and Lee (his mother's maiden name). We had to try make sure that it was actually Peter who enlisted and not the brother Patrick. We have the journey map for this conclusion and happy to share if it ever is of real interest to anybody.

Thank you all for the help in solving this - bloody impressive  and invaluable work!

Another local man lost and found, we will endevour to ensure he is remembered and never lost to us again!

One last request: Anyway of telling when he may have joined up from gratuity paid - not much paperwork available for this man?

image.png.108509dac665afb61adc98131bb59920.png

Regards,

Gerard

Edited by GJW
Ommission

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I missed the last part.

There is another topic on war gratuity payments, not seen another £8 payment though.

Perhaps add a request in that topic?

TEW

Thank you TEW

• 1 year later...