Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where would he have been treated?

HTSCF Fareham

Please forgive me if this topic has already been covered. I've checked the forum and other related sources and have found these:-

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/278321-mef-hospitals-and-others/?tab=comments#comment-2842707

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/hospital-admissions-and-discharge-records/

What I'm trying to find out is where Bombardier 11479 Arthur Henry Osgood, 'B' Battery, 66th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, who died from pneumonia on 02/12/1917 was looked after. He is buried at Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery.

Is there a methodology that can be applied to other cases?

Thank you!

Some thoughts:

Soldiers Effects (there are 2)  says he died Baghdad.

Pension Record Card (there are several) says he died of Pneumonia

The War Diary for 66 Bde RFA is here at Discovery and free to download at the moment. It will tell you where the Brigade were at that time. Baghdad had been taken in March 1917 and the Brigade were probably not far north east of Baghdad ? There were probably more casualties at that time from sickness than action. So he may well have had time to be evacuated to one of the Hospitals near Baghdad, but which ? Medical evacuation by late 1917 was much imroved from the fiasco of 1915/16.

I see, for example, a photo of the 31st British Stationary Hospital Baghdad, Nov 1917, here

But there is no war diary for that hosp for that period 1917 ?- sometimes these hospital diaries record individual deaths. Might be worth checking if the 1916 or 1918/19 diaries, which are available- again free- are mis-titled ?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Would be worth a read of Medical Services, Vol. 4 I think.

Available as a free online read or a downloadable off.

Should give an overview of hospitals, CCS etc.

TEW

4 hours ago, charlie962 said:

The War Diary for 66 Bde RFA is here at Discovery and free to download at the moment. It will tell you where the Brigade were at that time. Baghdad had been taken in March 1917 and the Brigade were probably not far north east of Baghdad ? There were probably more casualties at that time from sickness than action. So he may well have had time to be evacuated to one of the Hospitals near Baghdad, but which ? Medical evacuation by late 1917 was much imroved from the fiasco of 1915/16.

Thanks, Charlie. I have the War Diary and would suggest that the previous month they were at Abusaida. For the month of November there were 20 British and 12 Indian soldiers admitted to Hospital.

4 hours ago, TEW said:

Would be worth a read of Medical Services, Vol. 4 I think.

Available as a free online read or a downloadable off.

Should give an overview of hospitals, CCS etc.

TEW

Thanks, TEW. This looks like it will take some while to read, but a quick flick of a few of the pages would suggest that this is going to be an interesting and worthwhile read!