Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Trench Mortars

Brendan Hogan

Does anyone have any sources to recommend on British trench mortars? The only book that I've been able to find is R. Whinyates, Artillery and Trench Mortar Memories - 32nd Division.

I'm also looking for the following pams:

• CDS 98/6 Artillery Notes No. 6: Trench Mortars (March 1916)
  • SS 130 Notes on the Employment of 4″ Stokes Mortar Bombs (November 1917)
  • SS 168 Notes on the Employment of Serviceable Guns and Trench Mortars captured from the Enemy (June 1917)
  • SS 189 Light Mortar Training (June 1918)

If anyone has electronic copies of these materials that they'd be willing to share, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Brendan

Hello Brendan,

The Artillery Notes No. 6: Trench Mortars of March 1916 can be found at the Imperial War Museum. I don't have a copy to hand but based on John Armatys' list it is actually SS 98/6 rather than CDS 98/6.  The revised version SS 139/6 of March 1917 can be found at the Imperial War Museum and Australian War Museum. There is a United States Army Reprint contained in Field Artillery Notes No. 7 that has the same content as SS 139/6, but omits that cover and is formatted slightly differently. A copy can be found at

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4013coll9/id/89.

The Field Artillery Notes document is an edited compilation of material by the Army War College, usually from French and British sources. Field Artillery Notes No. 7 also contains Notes on the Employment of Serviceable Guns and Trench Mortars captured from the Enemy, but whether this is an exact reprint, I have not been able to tell as I don't have an original pamphlet to compare against.

SS 130 can be purchased from Marc Romanych of Digital History Archive under the collection 'British Military Operations in France 1917-1918, which is a compilation of records for $10 USD. I've purchased several compilations from Marc and have found him to be a trustworthy and reliable vendor.  http://www.digitalhistoryarchive.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

For SS 189, there is a google archive compiled by Contemptible Pete, available at https://get.google.com/albumarchive/110169237000562683075/album/AF1QipNxzMkX8ouRZKkfF9JVaZgCNPOnugC3i7jh3vvF

I have recently communicated with him and he has indicated that he does not mind links being given to the pamphlets he has uploaded, though to be polite I will let him know that I've posted a URL in this link.

Hope this helps

Adam

13 hours ago, Brendan Hogan said:

Does anyone have any sources to recommend on British trench mortars? The only book that I've been able to find is R. Whinyates, Artillery and Trench Mortar Memories - 32nd Division.

I'm also looking for the following pams:

• CDS 98/6 Artillery Notes No. 6: Trench Mortars (March 1916)
  • SS 130 Notes on the Employment of 4″ Stokes Mortar Bombs (November 1917)
  • SS 168 Notes on the Employment of Serviceable Guns and Trench Mortars captured from the Enemy (June 1917)
  • SS 189 Light Mortar Training (June 1918)

If anyone has electronic copies of these materials that they'd be willing to share, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Brendan

It is worth downloading any of the Divisional Artillery headquarters war diaries which are free to download from the NA at present. These often give plenty of information on the use of thboth the Brigade and Divisional trench mortar batteries particularly any reports on raids carried out.

Mark

3 hours ago, kildaremark said:

It is worth downloading any of the Divisional Artillery headquarters war diaries which are free to download from the NA at present. These often give plenty of information on the use of thboth the Brigade and Divisional trench mortar batteries particularly any reports on raids carried out.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I've been taking advantage of the free access to TNA holdings. 

Brendan

Brendan

The 4 inch Stokes mortars were used by 5th Battalion, Special Brigade, Royal Engineers, They fired chemical, smoke and incendiary ammunition.

TR