Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer of the Devons

Paul Reed

Sorting through some of my archives I have found a fine portrait studio-photo of a Lieutenant Colonel in the Devonshire Regiment. Inscribed underneath is the legend Semper Fidelis - 17th April 1918.

On the back - in pencil - is written "Mr Duncan (?) Arthur".

I don't have the Devons history; anyone got any ideas of this one? What's the significance of the date? He isn't listed in Officers Died, by the way.

Hello,

No Duncan Arthur is mentioned in the indexes of “The Devonshire Regiment 1914-1918” by C.T. Atkinson or “The Bloody Eleventh, History of the Devonshire Regiment, Volume III: 1914-1969” by W.J.P. Aggett.

There also does not seem to be any special significance attached to the date 17th April 1918 in these books.

Walter Kortooms

PS maybe you could try the London Gazette

Hello Paul,

Is it possible that the name of the officer in question is not Duncan Arthur, but Arthur Duncan? It seems by the inscription on the back that the author of it knew the person to be Arthur, but wasn't sure of his surname, as in Mr Duncan, Arthur. Anyway, that's how it struck me, perhaps it is worth checking out the names in this order, as researching a Duncan Arthur doesn't seem to have worked?

Jon Miller.

Paul

there are 58 officers listed as died on 17/4/18 ( aren't CDs a wonderful thing!), but none of them seems to fit. The only Arthur (Seymour)Duncan was a 17th Middx regt 2Lt KIA on 9/4/18. Despite what is written on your photo,perhaps your man survived the war?

Going about things via a different direction, the 1881 census shows a Duncan Arthur, born in Bude, Cornwall in 1873, the son of James Arthur, a schoolmaster.

Cheers

Joe

Thanks for all the further replies; Joe, I think you may have found the man as that DOB fits in with the apparent age of the chap on the photo.

When my lap-top is fixed, I will post the photo here.

Perhaps he was Devons attached something else?

The same chap doesn't appear in the 1901 census, and presumably at the age of 27 and in the Army would quite likely be further afield than the UK. Although the 1901 has its blips of course!

Cheers

Joe

• 3 weeks later...