Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Field Kitchens

roblt

I am trying to locate information on Australian field kitchens that were to a degree funded in the first instance by Red Cross donations. Two were donated to the 37th Battalion I believe. I am aware that Lieut Roberts o the New Zealand Defence Force created the "Salamander"and demonstrated it to the Australian Defence authorities and that they were going to supply them to the troops. I am keen to know who made the units, what were they called and is there a photo of one

I googled "ww1 salamander field kitchen" and there are images of the correct era but until I read your post I hadn't heard of the device so whether the images are what you're after I couldn't say.

Simon

Thank you Simon. I have a couple of images, but they are poor quality (Argus 9 Sept 1913 P5 and  Oct 1914 P7) The impression in the article is that they are being built to order/subscription but that is about all that it revealed - that and the fact that the Defence Force will be supplying them.

Hi and welcome to the forum...

Lots of stuff on-line and in the newspapers about the Wiles Field Cooker - invented by James Fletcher Wiles of Ballarat

https://bih.federation.edu.au/index.php/Wiles_Mobile_and_Stationary_Steam_Cooker

It seems the Red Cross donated many of these to various Units before the military finally took them up....

Specifications here:

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=410744

Cheers, Frev

Frev, Many thanks for your response. I think that you have nailed it for me. I have now found references referring to the Wiles and the Red Cross and I think it all fits now. Again really appreciative.