2/Lt Percy Kent

2/Lt John Cecil Edward Price

Lt Louis Harper

2/Lt John Francis George Boyle

Lt Chauncey Wilfred Reid

Thank you 

My try:

Howard, Edgar Ernest (Royal Welsh Fus)

Taylor, Louis George (General List) - Alan James Taylor wasn't on the squadron strength until June 1918 

Kent, Percy (General List)

Price, John Warren (3rd Canadian Garr Artly) or John Cecil Edwin (13th att 1/6th London Regt (TF) - both were on squadron strength in November 1917

Harper, Louis (5th att 7th Royal Irish Rifles)

Boyle, John Francis George (King's Own Scottish Borderers)

Reid, Chauncey Wilfred (1st South African Inf)

I presume the second picture was taken at a later date since some of those named appear to have arrived after November 1917

1. Chambers, Hugh Campbell (General List)

2. Pollard, George Ledgard (General List)

3. Dick-Cleland, Charles Buchanan (NZ ASC)

4. Sawyer, Fredrick Charles (1/4th East Yorkshire Regt) ?

5. Jackson, Guy Giffard (12th Essex Regt)

6. Lane, Walter Bertram (General List)

7. Orderly ?

8. ‘Jock’ ?

9. Henry, John (General List)

10. Boyle, John Francis George (King's Own Scottish Borderers)

11. Allen, William or Walter

12. ?

13. MacNaughton, William Kerr (22nd Canadian Inf)

14. Wells, Frank William (General List)

15. Scudamore, Robert Capel (8th Royal Fusiliers)

16. Kingsford, Alfred Reginald (General List)

17. Rutherford, Peter William (General List)

18. Miles, Frank William (General List)

19. Rogers, William (General List)

Graeme

What type of Sqn I mean what type of planes was it ?

No 100 Squadron was formed as a night-bomber unit and was equipped with the F.E.2b, re-equipping with the Handley-Page O/400 in August 1918.

Graeme

1 hour ago, topgun1918 said:

Price, John Warren (3rd Canadian Garr Artly) or John Cecil Edwin (13th att 1/6th London Regt (TF) - both were on squadron strength in November 1917

I see that J W Price was injured 25/9/17. I wonder if he was still out of action?

Edit - Also, his record shows that he was in hospital sick from 5/11/17 and doesn't seem to have returned. Eventually he died of influenza in Canada 9/10/1918.

Probably makes John Cecil much more likely.

Edited by IPT

A few more snippets

Taylor, Louis George – Pow 24-Jan-1918 in FE2b A852 with his observer, Lieut F E Lefevre MC

Reid, Chauncey Wilfred – Pow 21-Jan-1918 in FE2b A5695 with his pilot, 2nd Lieut Arthur Harold Peile

Jackson, Guy Giffard – Pow 18-Feb-1918 in FE2b A5601 with his observer, AM2 J C Guyat

Scudamore, Robert Capel – Killed 26-Feb-1918 [some records say 27 February] – returned from a bomb raid with two unexploded bombs which detonated as he was examining them

I have a note that John Warren Price was still on the squadron strength at the beginning of November 1917 while John Cecil Edwin Price joined on 4 November.

Graeme

Dick-Cleland was born at Maryhill, Glasgow, came to New Zealand for a few years in the 1890s then made his way to Africa. In 1914 he enlisted the British Section of the NZEF in London. He served with the RAF postwar, retired in 1927 and died on 28 Dec 34.

Chambers and Kingsford are both New Zealand born and residents. In the 1930s Kingsford wrote two books about his WWI service: Night Raiders of the Air and With the Earth Beneath.

I would welcome a scan of the group photo that includes these gents. Would you be able to email me one to me at errol.martyn@xtra.co..nz

Cheers,

Errol

Yes will do to the new zeal and chap do you know this place I have his engraved watch 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As you know about planes what type of plane is this please

3B364146-6FB1-4145-9CB3-71B97F102FF7.jpeg

FE36AF24-C67D-467D-96D7-01B292E54282.jpeg

"Yes will do to the new zeal and chap do you know this place I have his engraved watch"

Which chap's watch do you mean - Craig or Anderson? Westmere is (or was) a suburb of Wanganui (today Whanganui).

Cheers,

Errol

Will have a look tomorrow and get back to you thanks 

image.jpg.9606f94010d811ee2fc332c25cde06da.jpg

• 6 months later...

I purchased a set of medals to Lt Seymour Caley Harker a pilot on 100 Squadron the group contains a Mercantile Marine Medal named to Seymour Caley Harker any of you gents have any idea in what capacity he was awarded this medal.  The medals in his group are British War Medal, Mercantile Marine Medal, Victory Medal, Defence Medal & War Medal.  He continued to serve in the RAF after the 1WW and finished his service as a Squadron Leader I have the book on the history of 100 Squadron in the first war so have learnt a lot about his service in the first war in 100 Sqn but am intrigued about the award of the Mercantile Marine medal. Many thanks Clive 

Clive

On 7 Aug 1914 SC Harker attested into the Northern Signal Company Royal Engineers TF giving his trade as a Wireless Operator.

In 1915 SC Harker obtained a license as a Certificated Wireless Operator from the British Postal  Service which allowed him to work at sea in the Mercantile Service. 

From 1915 Crew Lists he sailed on Merchant Ships SS OSLO, FRANCISCO and ASCOT as a Wireless Operator employed by the Marconi Company for the whole of 1915 more than sufficient time to qualify for the British War Medal and at least one voyage through a danger zone to accompany that with the Mercantile Marine Medal. 

His Medal card also indicates he was a Wireless Operator.

There is a very nice photograph of him in RFC Uniform on a Public Members Photo on Ancestry, placed by Charles Harker possibly a family member?

Tony

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

Thanks very much for the information Tony you have certainly filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge of Sqn Ldr Harkers' service for this country.  Am looking forward to doing some research on SS OSLO, FRANCISCO and ASCOT.  Thanks once again.  Clive      

Name # 11 in Top Gun's post of 28 April is 2nd Lieutenant William Allan (General List & RFC/RAF).

not Allen, birthdate 21 March 1894.  He was a chartered accountant in Edinburgh in 1912-14.  Appointed

a Probationary Temporary 2nd Lieutenant on 20 October 1916, on 22 July 1917 he was appointed

a Temporary 2nd Lieutenant and posted to E.F. 100 Squadron.  Appointed a Lieutenant on 26 March

1918, he was posted to 41 Wing on 21 June 1918 and to the Unemployment List on 12 April 1919.

Source:  Air 76 R.A.F. Officer's Service Record at the National Archives, Kew.

Josquin