Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Shiny

Second Battle of Ypres - First Gas Attack

phil andrade

This wasn’t the first gas attack of the war, was it ?

The Germans had used it against the Russians in Poland in January : if I’m correct, they had used gas shells - not cylinders - but the effort was ineffective because it was too cold.

I wonder how much - if anything - the Russians had told their Entente allies about this.

Phil

AOK4

And the French had been experimenting as well with some gas grenades and shells...

lostinspace
50 minutes ago, phil andrade said:

This wasn’t the first gas attack of the war, was it ?

The Germans had used it against the Russians in Poland in January : if I’m correct, they had used gas shells - not cylinders - but the effort was ineffective because it was too cold.

I wonder how much - if anything - the Russians had told their Entente allies about this.

Phil

Wasn't it sneezing powder? Could be wrong but I think Ypres was the first chlorine gas attack.

Dave

KernelPanic
43 minutes ago, lostinspace said:

Wasn't it sneezing powder? Could be wrong but I think Ypres was the first chlorine gas attack.

Dave

Yes, Ypres was the first use of chlorine. The chemical the Germans used in Russia in January 1915 was a lacrymose agent, xylyl bromide. It turned out to be ineffective because the low temperatures and wind direction. This website mentions  the French using the same agent in 1914.

Edited by KernelPanic

ejwalshe

@Shiny You will want to read the war diaries of the 10th & 16th Battalions, C.E.F.

I know obviously it was Canadian troops that were hit with it...

This was true, two days later on 24 April 1915, during the second gas attack the Canadians were hit with gas.

During the first gas attack on 22 April 1915, French Algerians suffered the most - the Canadians moved towards their deserted line after most of the gas had dissipated, and Canadian losses were comparatively few due to gas on this day.

The 10th & 16th Battalions (outnumbered 10-1) fought with such tenacity and persistence at Kitchener's Wood, an entire German division was convinced they were taking on an army of equal strength, and halted their advance during the early morning hours of 23rd April, when Ieper would have been taken had they continued their advance.

Following the Great War, the former Allied Supreme Commander, Ferdinand Foch said "the greatest act of the war" had been the counter-attack at Kitchener's Wood by the 10th & 16th Battalions.

Shiny

Hi All,

Sorry for the delayed reply, for some reason I haven't had email notifications about any of the posts I'm following for weeks but have only just noticed.

I've finished reading Gas! that was recommended in post 2 and feel a bit more enlightened now, I will still have a look at the war diaries as well though, thanks @ejwalshe

Having read the book now you do wonder why all the clues weren't picked up on and at the very least used to get some gas masks prepared.

Easy with hindsight I suppose.

Michael

phil andrade

A piece of useless information, but for some reason I feel it ought to be pitched into the thread :  Kitchener’s Wood is a misnomer....the proper spelling places the apostrophe outside, because it was named after the French Bois de Cuisiniers which means Cooks’ Wood....hence Kitcheners’ Wood.  Not, as I had previously thought, named after  Earl  Kitchener.

Phil

Sasho Todorov
On 19/05/2020 at 10:37, phil andrade said:

A piece of useless information, but for some reason I feel it ought to be pitched into the thread :  Kitchener’s Wood is a misnomer....the proper spelling places the apostrophe outside, because it was named after the French Bois de Cuisiniers which means Cooks’ Wood....hence Kitcheners’ Wood.  Not, as I had previously thought, named after  Earl  Kitchener.

Phil

I apologize for thread hijacking a bit, but unfortunately as a new user I can't send personal messages, and I can't find you on twitter, so I'm kind of having to use this as am ersatz ping. Back in 2011 you mentioned downloading your copy of the Sanitatsbericht Uber Das Deutsches Heeres. I'm currently in the lengthy process of working with libraries to get it uploaded (I got the publisher to relinquish copyright!), and it's been a no go due to difficulties in scanning either the old book, or dusty microfilm reels. By any chance, could you pop me an email re: any potential electronic copies of it existing? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

stripeyman
On 19/05/2020 at 10:37, phil andrade said:

Phil

Well I didn't know that ! From memory the wood is no longer..

Michelle Young
1 hour ago, Sasho Todorov said:

I apologize for thread hijacking a bit, but unfortunately as a new user I can't send personal messages, and I can't find you on twitter, so I'm kind of having to use this as am ersatz ping. Back in 2011 you mentioned downloading your copy of the Sanitatsbericht Uber Das Deutsches Heeres. I'm currently in the lengthy process of working with libraries to get it uploaded (I got the publisher to relinquish copyright!), and it's been a no go due to difficulties in scanning either the old book, or dusty microfilm reels. By any chance, could you pop me an email re: any potential electronic copies of it existing? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. Once  you have made two posts, you will have access to the private messages system. I've removed your email address from public view to avoid it being gathered by spammers.

Michelle 

Sasho Todorov
14 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. Once  you have made two posts, you will have access to the private messages system. I've removed your email address from public view to avoid it being gathered by spammers.

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle, I greatly appreciate it!