Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Tindall 63rd RND

Simon Tindall

Hi I’m looking for pictures and details of the 63rd signals RM engineers RND 

my great grandfather served in WW1 and survived the war to be killed as civilian dead during the blitz of WW2 working in the Clerkenwell tunnel aged 56. 

what I do know is orphaned at 8. Raised in work houses in south London and hanwell. Navy I believe at 14. Then rejoined in his thirties at the start of ww1.RM RND   After losing his wife and being left with my grandfather aged 6.  Served in Gallipoli and France and discharged from Chatham after losing his teeth whilst shoeing  a mule. 
details or pics of his regiment would be great.
service number 207466.  853  
Thanks 

Edited by Simon Tindall
Spelling

6 hours ago, Simon Tindall said:

I’m looking for pictures and details of the 63rd signals RM engineers RND 

Simon,

You can get a lot of background information on the division by purchasing Len Sellers' magazine 'RND' which today is available on disc from http://www.crystalpalacefoundation.org.uk/shop/world-war-one-two/royal-naval-division

There are several references to the Signals section and three substantial articles based on a previously unpublished account 'Solo Saga' by Reginald Gale 1284 RNDE

Good Luck

Michael

He does not appear to have served in the RN. His RM correct register number in the RNDE was Deal/853(S), prior to transfer to the Army in December 1916 as RE207466.

To confirm which field/signal company he served in you need to see his RNDE record card at the Fleet Air Arm Museum (currently closed).

Edited by horatio2
Assessment changed.

Odd coincidence, I have an interest in the RMLI/RMA during WW1. .

My grandfather also lost his teeth to a mule whilst serving with 58 Division Ammunition Column RFA.

Hence the avatar!

The problem when handling mules is that they can kick to the front, rear and sideways, unlike a horse. The vast majority of British soldiers, used to handling horses, hadn't encountered mules before. Far from being stubborn they're actually fairly intelligent and are said to be able to remember individuals who've mistreated them in the past.

58 DM.

2 hours ago, horatio2 said:

He does not appear to have served in the RN. His RM correct register number in the RNDE was Deal/853(S), prior to transfer to the Army in December 1916 as RE207466.

To find out which field company he served in you need to see his RNDE record card at the Fleet Air Arm Museum (currently closed).

The RM Medal Roll shows that he was not entitled to the 1914-15 Star, for which service at Gallipoli in 1915 would have qualified him. Do you have evidence that jhe was there? He was issued with his two medals (Victory and British War medals) by the War Office for Army service.

There is a service record on Ancestry, which I assume the OP has, that mentions Gallipoli.

If not he needs to sign up for a month and download it.....link below.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1219&h=1891377&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=ubi12773&_phstart=successSource

3 hours ago, horatio2 said:

The RM Medal Roll shows that he was not entitled to the 1914-15 Star, for which service at Gallipoli in 1915 would have qualified him. Do you have evidence that jhe was there? He was issued with his two medals (Victory and British War medals) by the War Office for Army service.

This statement is incorrect. I mis-read the Roll. My previous post amended.

The Signal Coy war diary in the BEF can be downloaded from Kew - WO 95/3104 (the Field Coys are in WO 95/3103). There are no war diaries for the RNDE at Gallipoli.

Edited by horatio2

14 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Simon,

You can get a lot of background information on the division by purchasing Len Sellers' magazine 'RND' which today is available on disc from http://www.crystalpalacefoundation.org.uk/shop/world-war-one-two/royal-naval-division

There are several references to the Signals section and three substantial articles based on a previously unpublished account 'Solo Saga' by Reginald Gale 1284 RNDE

Good Luck

Michael

Thank you Michael

10 hours ago, 58 Div Mule said:

Odd coincidence, I have an interest in the RMLI/RMA during WW1. .

My grandfather also lost his teeth to a mule whilst serving with 58 Division Ammunition Column RFA.

Hence the avatar!

The problem when handling mules is that they can kick to the front, rear and sideways, unlike a horse. The vast majority of British soldiers, used to handling horses, hadn't encountered mules before. Far from being stubborn they're actually fairly intelligent and are said to be able to remember individuals who've mistreated them in the past.

58 DM.

Amazing coincidence or dam bad luck on both there parts

Can’t help but wonder how many toothless veterans of WW1 are the result of close  contact with mules.

58 DM.

3 minutes ago, 58 Div Mule said:

Can’t help but wonder how many toothless veterans of WW1 are the result of close  contact with mules.

58 DM.

a few I would imagine

• 4 months later...