Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Officer's Record

moulie11

Hello all

I would really appreciate some assistance in interpreting part of this service record. The officer in question served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the RFA and was killed in action on 07/11/1918. As far as I can tell from the record, he was with 92 Brigade when wounded in action on 04/09/1917 and joined 20 Divisional Ammunition Column on 08/10/1917. He served as an Acting Captain from 07/02/1918 to 12/05/1918 and was posted to "C" Battery 91st Brigade on 17/07/1918. 

Is this interpretation correct and am I missing anything important? In particular, could some advise what the top line refers to? I'm not too sure which unit he joined on 23/05/1917. Was it a Trench Mortar Battery?

I'd be grateful for any help in plotting out his career.

Thanks in advance.

Luke

Capture.PNG

yes he joined Z/20 (Heavy) Trench Mortar Battery.. and also later X/20 [ the Divison would have had an X. Y and Z battery [maybe also W and V] manned with artillery men.  the DTMO mentioned 1/2/18 is the Divisional Trench Mortar Officer.. Officers would quite commonly be shifted  between the DAC, Trench Mortars and the RFA Brigades within a Division.. Z/20 looks to be his first posting on joining..

Edited by battiscombe

Thanks, battiscombe. 

That makes a lot of sense. I've now downloaded the relevant war diary and it's enabled me to piece together the rest of his career - it mentions him on the dates which correspond with his service record, which is satisfying! 

Luke