Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMLI

PatrickCope

My grandad served in the RMLI

George Derbyshire ch/17555.

I can only find snippets of information about him, can anyone help with any info about where he served and possible battles he was in. 

He served from the start of the war to 1917 in HMS DUFFERIN and HMS HARDINGE mostly in the Red Sea where they were involved in the Arab uprising (TE Lawrence et al). You will find a good narrative in "TE Lawrence and the Red Sea Patrol" by John Johnson-Allen (2015 Pen & Sword  Military - ISBN 978 1 47383 800 0).

From 1917 to the end of the war he served in Defensively Armed Merchant Ships (DAMS) - on the books of HMS PRESIDENT III.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum (currently closed) archive holds an Attestation Pack of papers for your GF.

On reuirn to Chatham Barracks in August 1917 he was demobilised into the Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR) and immediately re-mobilised for service in DAMS. On his final demobilisation in June 1919 he was, at the same time discharged from the RFR.

Thank you, I have just downloaded the file on him with the names of the ships he was on. Can you tell me if he actually went ashore and fought at Gallipoli? 

or can you tell me whete to find out this info

2 minutes ago, PatrickCope said:

Can you tell me if he actually went ashore and fought at Gallipoli?

Yes. He was never anywhere near Gallipoli or the Dardanelles, He may have been involved in shore parties landed in the Red Sea from DUFFERIN or HARDINGE 

It is of note that his three WW1 medals were claimed by him but issued by the Air Ministry, which indicates that he also servedin the RAF after his RMLI discharge. Were you aware of any RAF service?

Here is a possible - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10765221 BUT NO - this man joined the RFC in 1916.  See - http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/derbyshire-g

Edited by horatio2

Thanks again,  I will order the book TE lawrence. Theres so many different sites to find out info,  but some lead you along the wrong path.

The reason I asked about Gallipoli is that on 1 site and the book "Britains sea soldiers" it says Chattam RMLI was involved in different conflicts. 

Yes I have his medals,  also 1 from before ww1, Persian sea. 

He joined the RAF later on, not sure when, as I have a long service and good conduct medal

Interesting. Your GF and my uncle served together in DUFFERIN between Jan and Jun 1916. I see your GF earned the Naval General Service Medal (Persian Gulf 1909-1914 Clasp) in HMS ALERT (one of 300+ in that ship). My uncle earned ithe same medal and clasp in HMS SPHINX.

Yes, that is the medal I have, red and white stripes,  they probably knew each other,also in the RAF. he was a warrant officer 344741

Edited by PatrickCope
Add info