Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia

Dazscuba

A couple of questions for the researchers on here.

1) is there any trench maps of Mesopotamia for 1915/ 16?

2) where would I find what injury and when it was received of the Commanding officer of the 1/4th Hampshire Reg in 1915

Francis Jearrard Bowker. 

As as I have a letter from him on his way back to the front after recuperation in late 1915 just before he is KIA Jan 1916.

thanks 

I am currently reading Peter Stanley’s ‘Terriers in India’. It draws upon many of Bowker’s letters and many other 1/4 Hampshire sources. It has him mortally wounded leading 1/4 Hampshires into attack on Turkish trenches at Hanna on 21 January 1916.

Well worth your while finding a copy of the book. Many territorial units sent from India to Mesopotamia had a rough time there. No trench maps in the book, to answer the first part of your question.

Scott

• Admin

According to this he was wounded in action at Basra before he returned to the front in Mesopotamia. Portsmouth Evening News 29th January 1916 (courtesy FMP). 

image.png

Thanks Scott appreciated 

David thank you I have the info on his death and all that relates to the dates he died etc.

was just looking if any Trench maps of area and his wounding/ injury before in 1915. I did not have that newspaper cutting mentioning the servers Wounds.

also just edited to thank you for the links that’s great. Cheers 

Edited by Dazscuba

David the link to the IWM can you get to see all these or are they private?

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Dazscuba said:

David the link to the IWM can you get to see all these or are they private?

Should be able to see them I think, doesn't say they are restricted access?

Cheers also just been on NA and got the Reg Diary for 24th July and mentions him wounded. 

• Admin

Unlike the Western Front, the Middle East Campaigns were poorly served with maps. There was of course nsufficient time for mapping during operations for the relief of Kut

Here is a map of the Battle of Hanna 21st January 1916

https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100045738552.0x000034

The 1/4 Hampshires were  in 35th Brigade (2nd Black Watch closest to the river).

Ken

Thank you so much Dave for looking. I do ya e that and images of him after his death. Managed to get the war diaries for Regiment but does not mention him personally, 6 officers killed. The diary does not explain a lot of the fighting that day possibly due to the fact most of the Batt was dead or injured. 

Got diary of his injury in July 24th 1915 but again just mentions commanding officer being injured nothing else