Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what level of uniform is this

Maggie May

wasnt that confident it was .  well its back to the drawing board again by the looks of it. 

Thanks Bryan for your knowledge on this .

Maggie

Cracking photos RCNVR - many thanks. 

Getting interesting isn't it. 

Maggie - The medals remain a good clue eliminate some possibilities.  Your relative has the 14 Star or 14/15 Star, BWM and BVM which means he had war service from (at least) 1915 to 1918. He also has the Naval LS&GC which at this time (until 1977) required 18 years enlisted service before commissioning which could have bracketed his earned war service either way. You are looking to include war service and, at least, 18 years enlisted service and then commissioning. 

Also, the photo does not present a clear image of the LS&GC but there were two possibilities which have a image of the King in Admiral's uniform (and showing a shoulder as in your photo) before the simple "coinage" head was adopted in the 1920's.  From this we can deduce he reached the 18 year point from …….if the image is Edward VII from 1901-1910 or if the image is George V from 1910-1920's.  Does the real photo make it clearer in order to eliminate one of these possibilities?

For the RN experts:  Would his enlisted service record have been consolidated into a officer record on discharge as an enlisted man / commissioning?

Tulloch,  a rating only required 15 yrs for the RN LS medal from Dec 1884. In his time frame the LS medal could only be awarded to Ratings, not Warrants or Commissioned Officers.

I think his LS would likely be Geo V Admiral's uniform, fixed suspension, thus 1920-1929 period.

He would have a separate Warrant Service Record in the ADM 196 series, separate from his Ratings SR in the ADM 188 series.

Yes, indeed becoming interesting, but unless we can get his name not a great chance of success am afraid!   I have many of these RN Officer portraits that are not ID'd & doubt I will ever have a hope of ID'ing them!

Best...Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

yes have  been looking at family on my tree and not found anything that would fit they all seemed too late now you have sent this info to me will check again 'it would be so wonderful to nail him down

I have enclosed a smaller shot of him it may show things clearer perhaps 

I am so grateful for all the help I am receiving .

"stay safe and be kind to each other "

this is our lockdown message here in NZ 

mystery man 2 .jpg