Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P.1907 HQ Regimental Marking?

Michael Haselgrove

I wonder is anyone can help with an identification from an official source in respect of the marking 12 RR 948 on the hilt and scabbard of a P.1907 HQ bayonet in my collection.  I have found mention of a very similar marking, 12 RR 70, at page 189 of "The Collector & Researchers Guide to the Great War II" by Howard Williamson and identified as 12th Royal Reserve Cavalry Regiment.  However, I can't find the marking listed in "The Broad Arrow" by Skennerton.  He lists RRE as Royal Reserve Engineers and my concern is that, logically, Royal Reserve Cavalry would be RRC. 

If anyone has a definite reference to the marking I will be very grateful to hear.  In the meantime, I attach a few photos in case they are of interest.

Regards,

Michael.        

DSC04821.JPG

DSC04816.JPG

DSC04817.JPG

DSC04820.JPG

DSC04812.JPG

I think it’s most likely simply a shortened form for Royal Reserve Regiments of infantry: https://www.nickmetcalfe.co.uk/the-royal-reserve-regiments-and-the-royal-garrison-regiment/

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile,

Many thanks for your response and for the link which I have read.  The suggestion you make that the RR marking is a shortened form for Royal Reserve Regiment is interesting but may not be the answer as I note from the link you sent that the Royal Reserve Regiments were disbanded on 14.05.01.

Anyway, again thanks for your interesting reply.

Regards,

Michael. 

• 3 weeks later...

Solved------> R.R. = Rangoon Volunteer Rifles. ( The Broad Arrow / Page: 114 / India cont'd. )

11 hours ago, sgt-maj said:

Solved------> R.R. = Rangoon Volunteer Rifles. ( The Broad Arrow / Page: 114 / India cont'd. )

I did see the entry you mention and perhaps I should have mentioned that I had seen it in my original post. Apologies.  I didn't think the RR related to the Rangoon Volunteer Rifles as they had an approximate strength of 1,100 and that didn't seem to me to fit in with the rest of the marking, namely 12 and 948.  

Anyway, many thanks for your help.

Michael.

On 27/04/2020 at 09:58, Michael Haselgrove said:

Frogsmile,

Many thanks for your response and for the link which I have read.  The suggestion you make that the RR marking is a shortened form for Royal Reserve Regiment is interesting but may not be the answer as I note from the link you sent that the Royal Reserve Regiments were disbanded on 14.05.01.

Anyway, again thanks for your interesting reply.

Regards,

Michael. 

Michael, very soon after the Royal Reserve Regiments we’re stood down they were almost immediately followed by the Royal Garrison Regiment which performed exactly the same reserve infantry function, but with differing terms and conditions of service. I imagine that the existing RR marked bayonets would probably have continued in use with the RGR, even if they marked new issues with the triple lettering.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile,

Thanks very much.  I will try to do some more research and let you know if anything comes up.

Regards,

Michael.