Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mercantile Marine prefix of "Pro"

Keith_history_buff

I have come across the "Pro" prefix in relation to Trimmers and Firemen. I came across this on a MIC, and thought it was a transcription error, but it appears not to be the case.

1915 Crew list

Object ID RSS/CL/1915/3869/9A
Description A Bartleman; rank/rating, Master; age, 37; place of birth, London; previous ship, Highland Laddie, 129082 of London....... G Wright; rank/rating, Pro Fireman and Trimmer; age, 35; place of birth, Stroud; previous ship, Highland Corrie. A Rossiter; rank/rating, Pro Fireman and Trimmer; age, 20; place of birth, West Ham; previous ship, Hawkes Bay. 

Source:
https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/663529.html

Aforementioned MIC

Reference: WO 372/10/220983
Description:
Medal card of Jenkins, William John
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Field Artillery R/1035 Driver
London Regiment 324376 Rifleman
Welsh Guards 2730487 Rifleman
Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary 907769 Pro-Trimmer

Short for "Profession"?

Whoever passed on the info to the War Office, they saw fit to label themself as "Pro Trimmer", and I have never seen this before as a prefix. I did wonder about "probationary", but the ages of the men above on the crew list for Highland Laddie does not suggest they are new to seafaring. In some modern job titles, a prefix such as "Lead" is used to stress that person's seniority and experience, so I was wondering if a similar term was in informal use, to indicate more experience than, say, their crewmate 'E Croft; rank/rating, Fireman and Trimmer; age, 21; place of birth, London'

As you correctly surmise, the abbreviation PRO means Probationary.  If you look at the original Articles of Agreement, in the column headed "Capacity in Which Engaged" it states "Trimmer", and above it is written "Pro Fireman", in other words they are trimmers being trained up to be Firemen a very skilled job requiring considerable experience the next step on the promotional ladder for engine room ratings.  Eventually after years of service they would reach "Greaser", "Donkeyman" and "Engine Room Storekeeper" the latter two being the equivalent of Petty Officer status.  Sadly the Probationary title rarely means an increase in pay, the ship owner was ever parsimonious!

The age of ratings in the Merchant Service is not a good indication of time served in a particular job.  They could be unable to find work ashore and therefore completely new to the sea in middle age or even swapped departments within the ship.  On many occasions stewards become seamen or trimmers in order to get a job in what was then a very competitive market.

Tony