Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Struggle with abbreviations - help!

Hull17KSLI

Hi, I have a copy of an officers service record who commissioned from the ranks. I'm trying to create a timeline of his service but i'm struggling with the abbreviations and the handwriting.

Can anyone help please?

TIA

WO_374_37514_033.jpg

Hi,

I think that it reads as;

28.10.1916 – admitted 5 British Red Cross in Wimereux, suffering from Pyrexia of Unknown Origin

1.11.1916 - sent to England on the Hospital Ship ‘St Denis’, with PUO

3.11.1916 – admitted General Hospital in Silver Street, Edmonton, with PUO

19.3.1917 – admitted 22 General Hospital Dannes Camiers with (severe?) bronchitis

22.3.1917 – admitted 6 Convalescence Depot Etaples from 22 General Hospital, with bronchitis

5.4.1917 - admitted 5 Convalescence Depot from Cayeux from 6 Convalescence Depot with bronchitis

14.4.1917 – Discharged to Base Depot Calais from 6 Convalescence Depot [though #5 would make more sense] with bronchitis

Regards

Chris

Unusual type of card. Bit like a reconstruction of a B.103 form but only showing certain types of entry.

Can't add much more except the two left hand columns.

Col. 1 is a copy of the remarks column from the B.103. The entry EG. HA 7767 refers to a list of men admitted to that hospital. There are other posts that show examples of these HA lists but finding list 7767 is unlikely.

It is frequently said that HA is for Hospital Admission and one can see why that would come about. However, his admission to GH (is this not Mil. H?)  Edmonton is reported on list HB 2797.

Col. 2 is the date the report/list/letter was received by the man's infantry record office.

TEW

The entry for 19.3.1917 has the abbreviation „Slt“ which means slight - not severe. Otherwise I agree with Chris.

Charlie

Hi Hull17KSLI,

1 hour ago, TEW said:

However, his admission to GH (is this not Mil. H?)  Edmonton

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

The entry for 19.3.1917 has the abbreviation „Slt“ which means slight - not severe

Looking at it again, I think that both TEW and Charlie are correct in their comments.

Edmonton Military Hospital in Silver Street - link

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

On 25/04/2020 at 11:22, clk said:

Hi,

I think that it reads as;

28.10.1916 – admitted 5 British Red Cross in Wimereux, suffering from Pyrexia of Unknown Origin

1.11.1916 - sent to England on the Hospital Ship ‘St Denis’, with PUO

3.11.1916 – admitted General Hospital in Silver Street, Edmonton, with PUO

19.3.1917 – admitted 22 General Hospital Dannes Camiers with (severe?) bronchitis

22.3.1917 – admitted 6 Convalescence Depot Etaples from 22 General Hospital, with bronchitis

5.4.1917 - admitted 5 Convalescence Depot from Cayeux from 6 Convalescence Depot with bronchitis

14.4.1917 – Discharged to Base Depot Calais from 6 Convalescence Depot [though #5 would make more sense] with bronchitis

Regards

Chris

Thanks all for the help. I couldn't make any more sense other than the Bronchitis and the dates. Thanks you for the link Chris. 

I'm slowly working through this mans service record, quite a bit of work.

Regards

Hull