Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge/uniform identification help required please!

deemaj

This is my good friends grandfather. I have her permission to use his photo. We have been trying to identify his regiment using the cap badge but have so far not been successful. Also the different markings on the sleeves. Can anyone help with this please?

His name James Reynolds, London born 1894.

DF168479-0528-4B4E-9908-A89C7247C0DB.png

• Admin

Army Service Corps. Overseas service chevrons right lower arm and good conduct stripes left.

Michelle 

Michelle is bang on, as if further confirmation was needed his ASC shoulder title is quite clear. The number of overseas service chevrons indicates the photo was taken towards the end of the war and with 5 of them it appears he saw most if not all of it abroad. With that period of service its possible that he may have served in other regts. Do you have any other biographical detail such as family names, children, addresses etc which may help pin him down a bit more and possibly uncover his military past.

Finally, do you know if he suffered an injury to his left arm? It's probably my imagination but his pose seems a bit awkward with his arm positioned showing his LSGC chevrons but not his hand. Surely a more natural pose would be with both hands on the chair arms. This only came to mind as I have a similar photo of my grandad post amputation where the photographer arranged the pose to hide his missing leg.